horn inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
hey guys ,,need help asap,, i just got a 1988 chevy 2wd lwb 3/4 ton,,issue is ,,horn is inop,,no click no nothing ,,where is the horn relay located,,i found a 3 pin relay and a 5 pin relay,,neither looks like the picture from autozone web site,,need help fast as im selling my el camino saturday and this has to be legal for state in spection,,,
also how do you change the dam headlights?? take the grill off?? thanks

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not know if the horn even has a relay in its circuit. The horn sounds when the circuit is grounded which happens when you press the button. Look under the hood and see if the horn(s) are even plugged in. If you can get your hands in there then try running 12V to it and see if makes noise. If it does then check the wiring around it for corrosion and/or breaks in it. I assume you have already checked the fuse for that circuit, which might have more than just the horn on it.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not know if the horn even has a relay in its circuit. The horn sounds when the circuit is grounded which happens when you press the button. Look under the hood and see if the horn(s) are even plugged in. If you can get your hands in there then try running 12V to it and see if makes noise. If it does then check the wiring around it for corrosion and/or breaks in it. I assume you have already checked the fuse for that circuit, which might have more than just the horn on it.
Not giving you a bad time but think about it. If the the button grounds the horn circuit and the horns are bolted to ground then something has to apply power to the horns. There has to be a relay. Unfortunately I don't recall where it is on a tbi truck though.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not giving you a bad time but think about it. If the the button grounds the horn circuit and the horns are bolted to ground then something has to apply power to the horns. There has to be a relay. Unfortunately I don't recall where it is on a tbi truck though.

True. Al I can say then is that the relay for it must be in the fuse panel.

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
anyone got a picture,,like i said,,i found a 3 pin and a 5 pin,,need a clear pic,,folks at local parts store not much help thanks

DiGiTaL D

Reaction score
Stupid question for an old thread but did you check the switch on the steering wheel? Mine was unplugged.