Holes in fender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cso21

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got junk yard rusted fender, I was going cut piece off to patch another one with. I sanded Bondo bubbles and found two drilled holes where filled and surface rust hindsight wished I took before photo, they way it was bubbled up it looked like rust. Ended up with good fender, anyone know if this was a factory or why holes where drilled
You must be registered for see images attach

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Maybe holes for factory fender flares, sand some more and see if any more holes appear; what did you pull that fender off of?

cso21

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
only two hole, sanded to metal before I primed it, came off 89 red truck, under the red was tan. best part guy gave to me free and it was laying inside of truck, love junking

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Looks like factory drilled hoes for a flare! Like @BowtieBrody said I bet there are more. Look in side the back of the fender and see if you can tell where they were filled. Should be at least 3 holes across the top.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You won't be able to see the holes from the inside since the fender has an inner structure with room between the inner/outer sheetmetal, but if it's a fender that had the factory 4x4 (or 3500HD) flare on it, there will be access holes in the stamping to be able to reach the speed nuts that would hold the flare on.

But yeah; factory flare holes...this is a fender from a 3500HD which used the same flare from 91 to mid 90's (they later went to a one-piece flare that was styled the same but went all the way down the length of the extended grille filler piece)

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
My truck has factory flares and you can clearly see the holes when looking through the inner structure. The access holes are there so you don't have to fight with getting your hand and a wrench in there. Anyway if there are 3 approximately 3/4"
Holes drilled along the back of the fender at the top of the wheel opening and a couple going down either side then you have a factory flare fender. If not then someone has added the holes whether it is for a flare or something else.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fair enough; it's probably been too many years since I looked at the inner sheetmetal on one of those fenders. If each exterior hole is loaded with bondo then they should be really obvious from the back side. ;)

Richard