High Beams don't work on 94 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Spong

Reaction score
I have a 94 Silverado and my high beams stopped working. I went and tested voltage and all that which was good. I am assuming it is the switch at the bottom of the column that the rod goes into. The problem is, I cannot find a "How To" video ANYWHERE... I don't really have the extra cash at the moment to take it some where. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test the voltage AT THE HIGH BEAM HEADLIGHT SOCKETS. This could easily be two burnt-out headlight bulbs.

Test all fuses related to headlight operation. Aww, hell. Check ALL fuses.

Do the low beams work until you switch to high beams?

Ben Spong

Reaction score
Hey Schurkey

Thanks for responding. I tested the voltage at the high beam socket. I couldn’t find any fuses related to headlight operations. The low beams work but when I switch to high beams, the high beams flash real quickly and then turn off. I’ve spent 2 days researching online and I can’t find any definitive step process in this.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The switch could be bad. Mine failed in such a fashion that none of the headlights worked, it was like stuck in limbo. Replaced that and now I have working lights.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tested the voltage at the high beam socket.
Doesn't do us much good to tell us you tested voltage, and then NOT tell us what the test results were.

I couldn’t find any fuses related to headlight operations.
Keep looking. There's at least one. Sometimes there's four or five--some vehicles have a fuse for each low-beam light, and each high beam light, and they're fed off of a fifth fuse that controls many other lights as well.

The service manual for this vehicle would tell you.

The low beams work but when I switch to high beams, the high beams flash real quickly and then turn off.
If BOTH high-beam lights flash, they're probably both good. I'm going to assume that you have no voltage to the high-beams except for a pulse when they flash.

Yeah, sounds like a failed high- low-beam switch.

I’ve spent 2 days researching online and I can’t find any definitive step process in this.
You should be looking in your GM service manual.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time to do a 4-high mod AND a stand alone headlight harness relay mod.

Ben Spong

Reaction score
I HAVE been looking in the manual... I went there first and haven't found anything. Hence why I turned to this site. Can anyone tell me where to find a video or instructions on how to change the dimmer switch? I have looked all over youtube but haven't been able to find anything. Would a Chiltons or Haynes manual tell me how to do it?