HIGH-4 MOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaymezz

Reaction score
Hey whats up guys im new here and this is my first post. Im Josh and im 20 years young.
I have a Emerald Green Metallic 1998 GMC sierra SL and love it to death. My mom bought it brand new in 1999. I was given the truck when i turned 16 for like a first vehicle, please dont rag on me for not buying it myself and **** cuz i am not one of those kids that get handed a 03-04 cobra, mach 1, vette, etc. it just rolledover 176k miles and shes still kickin strong. Iv replaced a head gasket and radiator thanks to "Dex-Cool".... they can go **** themselves by the way..
and thats about it on the replacements besides brakes and shoes and what not due to regular maintenance.

I was wondering about the HIGH-4 mod that ive been seeing lately. I want to due the high 4 mod and have all 4 hid's running simultaneously. My buddy did it to his caddy a long time ago and fried the alternator. I was wondering if any of you guys tried it and have any tips or pointers. I absolutely hate how it switches to a different bulb for high beams, horrible design.
Thanks guys and gals.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
this mod is pretty popular. Most people that do it also install HIDs so you have good low beam lighitng but your high beams will be very bright. Id say go for it! Never heard of any one blowing alternators though...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Contact 'Mean Green' (Baron). He makes the kits. A bit more expensive than the ebay ones, but I burnt out two of those kits before I got one of his. Much more substantial! They are worth the cost!
Plug & play. Took me 1/2 an hour to pull out the pos ebay kit, & have the new one installed.
Baron's come with excellent instructions. The ebay ones come with something that was written out on a bar napkin. After 6 beer. In Asia.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to run hids, I would get mean greens hd harness with the 4 hi mod built in. the factory wiring will do good to run just the low beams. You try an run 4 sets of hids an your probably going to go through a lot of headlight switches.

I have his harness with just hid low beams an have not had a minutes trouble with either. No flickering or no starts on my hids at all.

I also dont see the need for them in the high beam. I can see so well now with the lows I never use the highs. put the $ you would spend on the hid highs towards the harness. Just my .02 though, an what has worked well for me....

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Welmcome Josh!!!!! I run the High 4 mod with HID's in all 4 on my stock wiring harness and don't have any problems. I do, however, plan on getting a wiring harness from Baron in the future.

jaymezz

Reaction score
I checked out his harness and i thought i might build it myself, all i need is a relay, a few 14 gauge wires, fuse, terminal ends, and some self splicer things right?
shouldnt be that hard. I plan on getting some clear housings and running 8k and 6k for high beams. i think that would be pretty bright. My lights right now are terrible lol my lens are all oxidized and stuff.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd build one myself too. Once I priced out quality relays an bases, good wire an connectors I was only going to save about $20......

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I've been running Barons 4-HI kit for a good while now and I couldn't be happier! But hey if you have the time and know-how, all the more power to you haha. If you do decide to buy one though I encourage you to go with Barons kit since his pricing is competitive and you'd be supporting a good guy!

Also, if you decide to go with a 4-HI using HIDs on all 4 lights I highly encourage you to get his HD harness as well because that is a lot of heat going through a stock harness that was only meant to run 2 non-HID lights at any one time.

jaymezz

Reaction score
Have you guys had any trouble installing your hids? i put in a set of 8k and 6k today and they didnt fire up... what am i missing here another relay?

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
flip the plug around that you plug into the stock plug. i made my own hd headlight harness and did the 4 high with a diode. had it set up before no harness and relay for the 4 high and it would make my low beam flicker when i went to high. i have stock bulbs in high still it looks ugly ill get hids for them one day