HID? Help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just take the fog light housing to a local shop that sells the hid and ask if they can make sure they fit before u buy....

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Deven posted a link to my thread about converting the lights. I looked up the 510 series since you said it was close to those. The problem I see, is not exactly in the length of the bulb, but the length of the HID bulb housing behind the bulb.

I've converted several types of lights to HIDs, and a friend wanted a set of slim off road lights converted. To do it, we had to take the back casing of the light and put a socket on the inside of it, and beat it down to make the housing have room for the back of the hid bulb. I wish I had pictures of it, and now the truck is totaled so I can't get anymore.

The 510 series light is only 1 3/4" deep from front glass to the back of the housing. The actual HID bulb is 1.5" long as mean green said. That only leaves 1/4" of room and I just measured and the back of the hid bulb is just under 3/4". Meaning you would need 1/2" just to make it fit the length of the light, and you'd need more clearance for the tolerance of the glass. The only way I can see this working, is to cut a hole in the back of the housing to allow the back of the bulb to fit, and if you did that, you'd have to find a way to re-seal them to keep water out.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
HIDs are a great addition.

I also wanted to add, since hid bulbs are longer, your beam pattern will be SLIGHTLY different. With a longer bulb I know the pattern on the full size off road lights like KC brand lights, is a tad bit wider, but it is still a beam and they light up the night for a LONG distance.

If you're nice, I might re-install my hid off road lights (KC brand style) and go out tonight and take some pictures of the beam pattern and the light output for ya.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
MeanGreen, How many driving lights have you had knocked out by rocks?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone has this huge expectation for every light now, its a H3 55W halogen bulb, you cannot compare it with how bright you headlight HID's are.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I've been running 6000-K fog/driving for over a year now and they actually overpower the lo's drastically, the reflector on street signs reflect the light from ~1/4-1/2mile away. They're the 2.5" tall x 6" wide low profile housings.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ALso by doing that you are defeating the purpose of FOG lights, if you light up the fog or rain or snow, you will see nothing and be blind