HID? Help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed the 4 hi mod in my truck as well as installing a set of PIAA fogs. The fogs are disappointing to say the least :( they spread and fill the ditch nice buy only like 20ft out from the truck. So naturally I want to try retro fitting HID's into them.

Does anyone know how much longer the H3 HID bulbs are? Since they have the little caps over the bulbs. And do I want 35W or 55W HID's? Will the 55W make too much heat in the small 6" round housing? Let me kkow your experiences with HID's!!!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fog light them selves are what give the short and wide beam pattern your seeing, with that being said HID's will definitely give a big boost in light output! I can snap a picture for you tomorrow to compare the difference between a H3 HID bulb and a H3 Halogen bulb. What model PIAA fog do you have? If you plan on using the fog lights when you have your low beams on, I would recommend using a 35W instead of a 55W. Being that they are 6" in diameter, you shouldn't have a problem with depth (unless the housings are very shallow).

Are you wanting to increase your down road vision or your foreground vision? A fog light beam pattern will always be short and wide, where as a Driving/Pencil beam pattern will be very long and narrow. I have 35W 5000K HID's in my High beam, low beams, and driving lights. I can easily see about a mile down road with this set up, and is VERY nice for safely lighting up the dark rural roads!

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the beam pattern. And I realize they wont do much for reaching out. But the actual brightness of them is lame. I don't know what PIAA's I have. Something in their 510 ish series. I know it's an H3 bulb (all their fogs appear to be) and they are clear lenses not yellow. I got them from a buddy for 50$. I think they will be good. But they need to be brighter:) I will run them as off road auxiliary only. Independent Of my headlights on a separate switch and relay. ( only when flying down logging roads at warp speed)

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Nitrofreak - Stick with Mean Green and you will be all set. Boy knows all when it comes to lights.

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how much longer are the HID bulbs? Someone has to know! I really don't want to buy a set and find out they don't fit.

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a pair of H3 HID bulbs in stock @ my shop.I will measure them for you this afternoon.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I measured the two H3 bulbs for you earlier today, the standard 100W H3 Halogen bulb measures 1.25" and the HID H3 bulb measures 1.5". So there is a .5" differance between the two. I can upload a picture for you if that would help more!

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes please. Wil helP give me an idea what I'm dealing with. If there isn't clearance I mayb need to make it;) also what are the pros/cons of a 55W versus 35W kit?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay here are some pictures for you, hopefully this will help you some!

100W H3 Halogen Bulb (Measures 1.25" from base to tip)
You must be registered for see images attach

------------------------

35W H3 HID Bulb (Measures 1.5" from base to tip)

------------------------

Side by side comparision of the two

Here's a pic of my highs, lows and driving lights, 35W 5000K HID's installed in all of them (Makes it look like daylight when on high beams :biggrin: