Hey there!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Got me a 1998 K1500 Silverado Z71 with the 5.7L Vortec 350 V8 and 4L60E automatic. It's definitely a project, and I'm still trying to resolve a paperwork issue so in the meantime I don't have the title (I have an 07 Colorado as a daily driver) but I plan to make this a really cool truck.

When I get it running (for now it needs intake lower intake manifold gaskets, new cats, and some other stuff). Once it's running and paperwork is resolved I plan to lift the truck, put some more agressive tires on it, and a nice exhaust. It's too quiet now :/

Anyway, look forward to posting here - I love GM trucks, and I'm glad to be here - I love forums as well :)

PS: I did have a 96 Yukon but the rear end failed and took the transmission with it so I sold it. It had the same engine+trans but I didn't need two full-size trucks. As soon as I find a buyer for my 83 Chevy C20 I'll just have my 98 Silverado and my 07 Colorado. The K1500 will be the truck that I work on, the Colorado will be the unscathed daily driver!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

roughead

Reaction score
Hello and welcome aboard to the forum. That has surely have some potentials!

mistaake

Reaction score
Should have title issue resolved soon. Got in contact with previous seller, drove 4+ hours each way to Nevada to go to the DMV, got the right form to fill out, what a bunch of BS. Nevada DMV is no problem but California's policies suck. Never buying another truck out of state (and never buying another truck without the title in hand lol).

A few months back I did start pulling things apart under the hood to start on the intake gaskets but I didn't organize anything and now it's been so long I don't remember where anything goes. I think I'll have to save up and get it towed to a shop and have the whole damn engine rebuilt. Can also get the catalytic converter replaced and a complete tune up while I'm there so it can actually pass smog.

Any thoughts on this?
http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-445453-Stainless-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B0099XII7G/

Also, if the truck ran OK before starting to take it apart should I bother getting the engine rebuilt? The reason I am getting intake gaskets done is because it was billowing white smoke/steam out the back. But maybe it could be the head gasket? The truck has unknown mileage. Odo says 176k but Carfax says it had 227k in 2012.

I found this engine for around $2k but I'm not sure if it's the right one, and I don't feel like spending so much on this truck. It was only a $2500 truck. Then again I don't want to spend thousands modding it while leaving such a high mileage engine untouched.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530282/overview/

If I'm going to put a 6" lift and big tires will I have to regear? 3:42 axle ratio and 4L60E. If I do have to regear, should I go to like 4:10 or what? Is regearing, lifting, and increasing tire size, a dumb idea on a high mileage 4L60E?

Last edited: