Help with HVAC AC Drain location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a RHD c3500 with AC. The AC was re-done not long ago and works fine. Actually it works really well and condensation seems to drip into the cab rather than outside. I had a look for a AC drain hose but to no avail. I then found a hole in the lower firewall near where I thought a drain would go, also fits a drain grommet perfect so I think I'm almost there...

My question is where does the flow come from? By the looks of it, when converting to RHD they simply turned the HVAC upside-down. There's three small holes in the semi-circle part at the bottom (top for LHD it seems) and cold air blows out well from there but this doesn't look factory. I'm yet to confirm exactly where its coming from but it drips from this area. Is there a proper outlet on the inside HVAC unit somewhere I'm missing?

You must be registered for see images attach

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rubber hose I just added, so no guarantee it goes there. The first photo also upside-down so apologies. There's a steel pipe that comes out the back at that lower semi-circle part but goes straight into a long can under the hood (condenser I think it's called).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like they flipped the HVAC box upside-down on you so they could swap sides. That's unfortunate.

In an original LHD configuration, the box is shaped so that condensate falling off the evaporator core collects in the bottom of the box, in a compartment above and separate from the bottom-most cover that goes over the heater core, with a tube-shaped depression in the bottom of the plastic alongside the two lines for the heater core where they go through the firewall:

In this next pic I've removed the core from the box and the thick rubber gasket between the box and firewall, and noted details on the pic (original purpose of the pic was to indicate screw locations for the heater core cover):

Finally in this pic, showing an HVAC box removed from the truck due to damage, what you're looking at is the fresh air/recirculate flap area on the far left of the pic (damaged area) with the top of that being where fresh air enters the cab from the cowl, evaporator core lines (the ones with coupling nuts, obviously) and heater core lines to the right of that, and next to those heater core lines you can see the plastic tube poking out which is where the boot for the evaporator drain attaches.

Hope that helps put things in perspective? Not sure if it helps you solve your issue, though.

Richard

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info! That put's things into perspective well. I might have to remove the dash some more. I can't imagine the original drain tube would be of any use now as it will be much higher than original. My guess is that I originally had a drain at the bottom of the HVAC box which was damaged and removed - its in a horrible location at the passengers feet. I'm thinking I can remove the box and make a new hole at the bottom / back with a sealed grommet. I can then plug up the three small holes.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I've added a photo which is not my car obviously, but I put a red dot where there is a hole at the bottom, inside the circle. Like I've mentioned, there's three of these little holes alone the length of that semi-circle part.