help with 1999 tahoe stumbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, so confused and pissed now. I have now replaced the following:
dist. cap
rotor
plugs
wires
cam position sensor

truck was starting just fine before I replaced the cam sensor. Now it wont start which is what made me check the other parts. Upon inspection they were in dire need of replacement so they were replaced. Still not starting and im lost.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
You haven't stated the obvious yet do you have spark, fuel pressure?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a deep breath and rebuild the stack...

Hollow sound- no spark / spark waaay out of time?
Did you reset the system / disconnect the battery?
Check the plugs for spark, condition?
Is the timing in the ballpark?
Easy to check: the the fuel rail pressure and whether it leaks down after shutting off power

Let us know!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all I touched and removed was the plastic air intake assembly attached to the throttle body which has to be removed to access the distributor. then of course unplugged the plug wires, removed the cap, removed the rotor and unplugged the cam position sensor. I had to bump the engine over a couple times to line up the notch for the sensor replacement. the only mistake I felt I had made was not pulling the fuel pump relay before I bumped it over. once I had the sensor installed I put everything back together. it hasnt started since. I saw the rotor needed replaced while I was doing the sensor and when it didnt start I went and bought an ac delco replacement. still wouldnt start so I figured screw it, I will just go ahead and do a cap, plugs and wires too. figured I could have fouled the plugs. still no start.

I cant imagine why now all the sudden I wouldnt have fuel pressure or spark. the truck started at the first bump of the key since buying it. I drove it the same day I started the work on it. I will check the pressure and spark today anyway but have a feeling it is something else. cant imagine why all the sudden it would have spark and fuel issues just from the sensor replacement.

as far as the timing I dont see how it could be off. its a 99 5.7 which has non adjustable timing. I didnt pull the distributor and the rotor would only go on in one direction. from everything I have read the only way to get the timing off on this engine is actually pulling the entire distributor.

Last edited:

floridarebel

Reaction score
did you ever figure out this problem and how was it fixed did you have to have a case relearn done with code scanner at dealer im running into similar situation.

ScubaSteveo

Reaction score
Don't you have to sync the cam shaft sensor woth the crank sensor? Scanners that have a learn mode on it can do that.