help with 1999 tahoe stumbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok guys, need a little help. My wifes tahoe just started to buck/stumble about a week ago. I took it to have the codes read and it has a MAF code, camshaft position sensor code and random misfire. Money is kinda tight right now so I cant just replace everything unless absolutely necessary. any ideas what could cause all those codes all the sudden? I'm kinda at a loss, got a couple ideas but wanted to get on here and pick some experienced brains first.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first thing i would do is check your plugs, wires cap and rotor. and maybe some MAF cleaner, start with the easy stuff and work your way up

more details couldn't hurt either, any mods? or recent service?

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Mine was doing the exact same thing a week ago. Ended up being a cracked plug. I replaced all of my stupid E3 plugs with AC Delco 14's. Runs like new again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
You can check the MAF by disconnecting it and seeing how it runs. I disconnected mine a year ago because I over oiled my K&N and now I am back to 16mpg. I think I will keep it that way because the trans shifts almost instantly like it has a shift kit and the trans never hits above 150 when towing where is used to hit 200 before disconnecting it.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
only recent service was a oil change and new air filter (unoiled). I did my 97' Z71 at the same time. The tahoe is completely stock, no modifications at all. Im kinda curious if the random misfire could cause the camshaft position sensor code to trip or if its the other way around.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just removed and cleaned the MAF, didnt look like it had ever been cleaned. Had quite the build-up on the sensor but looks like new now. No change in how it runs though. It is worth mentioning that it also engages harshly when shifting from park to reverse and drive. This started at the same time as the stumbling. No trans codes and fluid is full and clean so I'm at a loss on that too. I noticed in park its only idling about 500rpm according to the stock tach and if I give it slight throttle it will stumble slightly and hunt for idle for a second. But when driving it runs smooth until it has a random stumble but will continue to drive fine after the stumble.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Hard shifts are a sign that the MAF and/or the TPS is bad. You said you had a code for the MAF already.

I would change the fuel filter anyway because it is cheap and probably needs to be done. I would also check the computer for connector sweat. Unplug all four and replug them back in. About once a year my truck acts weird and throws random codes. All I do is reseat the plugs and it works like nothing ever happened.

Once my truck would not start and I swore one of the injectors went out but it ended up being the stupid injector connector on the intake.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok guys, I got the cam position sensor replaced. Now the truck wont start, just cranks and has a hollow sound through the exhaust. I tried putting the old sensor back in but no luck. Replaced the rotor cause it was in horrible shape, no luck. Anyone have any ideas, truck was starting and running before the sensor and rotor replacement.