Help removing rear lift glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 Yukon with the rear lift glass / tailgate.

What's the recommended way to remove the rear lift glass?

I'm guessing remove the support struts and the hinge pins, but i can't find best place to disconnect the electrical and hose for the defroster and wiper. The nuts for the hinges seems to be buried above the headliner behind some sheet metal.

thx,
andy

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the plastic trim from around the liftglass and you’ll see the hinge nuts on that side. The others are under the headliner, it can bend down enough to get to them once you take the roof trim out.

I want to say that the rubber electrical boot has to be pulled out and the wiring is taken out along with the liftglass. I think the connectors are under the headliner.

It’s been awhile, what I don’t remember is how to disconnect the washer hose. There may have been a coupler that could be disconnected under the headliner. Otherwise, pull the wiper motor cover off and see if it disconnects there. There are four round plastic clips or rivets holding it on. I don’t remember how they are disassembled (think you just pry them up), but to reassemble you push the round part in and then push the center pin in to expand the clip.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to take it off to have a better chance of painting it and repairing the hole for the 3rd tail light where it's rusting through. It also looks like it may be easier to install that top weather strip with the liftglass out of the way.

East302, I can see where the electrical can disconnect above the headliner and come out with the electrical boot. I just can't find and end for the washer hose and it passes through the electrical boot too.

thx,
andy

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other wise it should route to the wiper you can always remove it from the wipers pull it out of the frame and slide it out to the actual rear pillar