HELP - No Start Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 with a 5.7L. It is in long term storage at my parents' house, but I have recently come to need the truck so I'm trying to get it going again. A couple months ago my dad moved it in his yard to get his plow out and when he went to put it back the truck wouldn't start. We pushed it back into it's parking spot and didn't touch it until this past Thursday. I ended up having to replace the starter and the positive cable from the battery as the cable end on the starter was corroded and the stud on the solenoid snapped when trying to loosen the bolt. The battery used was a known good battery, freshly charged. When I turn the key, all the lights on the dash and the radio powers on and the fuel pump cycles. When I turn the key to start, nothing happens. Under the hood it sounds like the distributor spins, but the engine does not turn over at all. Not even a click. I've searched for no start issues but in all the cases I've found the engine turns over. I really need to get my truck running as I'm starting a new job in a week and need transportation. HELP!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So when you turn the key to crank the engine is there a click sound at all? What's the temperature outside?

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I see "not even a click".. but your hearing something happening when you try to turn it over?

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lift up on the shifter when starting or pull it into neutral. If that doesn't do it, get to the solenoid wire and see if it has power when trying to start it.

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in updating. I was able to tinker with the truck again on Sunday but still no starting. The clicking/whirring noise I was hearing under the hood is the fuel control unit thingy on the intake behind the throttle body; I think it is supposed to make those sounds.

I tried starting the truck with every combination of the gear selector, pulling on it, jiggling on it, nothing. I did notice that when trying to start the truck the radio, blower fan, and driving lights would all shut off. At one point, for the fun of it, I tried the hazard switch to make sure the lights were all working and the fuel pump started cycling with the pulses from the hazard flasher. I had the steering column apart to replace the multifunction switch so I'm thinking something got crossed in there somewhere so my next plan is to trace all the wires from the ignition switch down to the starter and check for shorts.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Have you thrown a battery charger on it yet, just to make sure it didn't lose charge after sitting?

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because the truck is not driven, we remove the battery when we're not tinkering with it to keep it warm.

My dad played around with the truck some more and discovered that the ignition wire to the solenoid had a hinky extension added on to it that had come apart. He removed the extension and ended up swapping out the starter motor and now the truck runs. Thanks for all the help, folks!