Help me diagnose a 700R4 problem? (BAD vibration).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I have a VERY bad shudder at around 45mph. Apparently, this is when the TC is supposed to lock. I don't know when it started, or what might have caused it, but it was just kinda THERE one day a few months ago. When i tap the gas pedal a bit or let off a bit, the shudder stops. Someone suggested it was my tires, and i just replaced them with a brand-new set, and it fixed the vibration in the steering wheel, but the trans shudder is still there. It is a VERY bad vibration, and seems like it's coming from the trans, right under the seat. I read this:

"Torque converter shudder in 4th while lockup is engaged; problem goes away when the brake pedal is pressed slightly to unlock converter. Have a shop verify line pressure, and provided no valves in the TCC hydraulic circuit are worn, replace the torque converter. Also, Lubegard Shudder Fix will at least fix this for awhile. Or try a transmission flush by a shop that uses BG brand products."

But have no clue what it means, can someone help me out?

You can monitor Trans line pressure with any pressure gauge, there is a 1/4-20 tap on the drivers side of the case. What does your fluid look like?

Sorry if you already answered, I'm at work and dont have time to read the whole thing

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
how do you bump line pressure

Depends on which transmission and what your goals are. With a 700r4 you can do it to a small degree through the TV cable. With the 60e you can do it globally in the tune. THe best/ideal way to do it on each is in the valvebody with the proper modifications and valves

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
THat is best. If you don't have a good, performance oriented local guy, you can always just give him a Transgo HD2 for it. That along with some Raybestos blues and Kolene steels will keep anyone happy.