Help!! lost gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Sounds like the PO built your truck at autozone (duralast). From now on use acdelco or better parts. The starting warm issue could be lots of things. I would start by checking fuel pressure when its hot and cold. Check you ignition system as well. If your ignition system is all autozone that might be your problem. BTW I got a reman acdelco starter from o Riley for $35 ish.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plugs look like its running rich? Mine doesnt get great mileage, none do, but 5-6 mpg is a little extreme. Especially if it runs good.

No fuel smell, no fuel leaks?

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question.. what should vehicle stats be at 75 mph? I'm running about 2250rpm and around 50 for oil n 14amps and Idk 160°

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I can tell from receipts most parts have been acdelco, currently doing a pre-trip to see how it does .. write again when I stop

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so speedo is off 4mph at 75. No fuel filter changed yet going to get pressure tested. After The drive truck fires right up so maybe started just Isnt set right going to realign n shim it. Mpg is back up so might have just been very bad gas? I got about 16 mpg at 75. Used 1/8 tank plus over full mark so figuring 1/4 tank went 69 miles ..

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now I need to know what I should do in terms to boost HP n MPG ... cause as we all know more HP equals more mpg to a certain extent as long as We are nice with it.. so what should I do to get as close to equality in both as possible? Just looking at it as a 15 year old truck with 128k n nothing Don't to it in say... The last 20k

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ok, so what's the problem here?

Is it starting hard all the time or just hard starting hot?

If just hot, is there a heat shield on the starter? Have you verified that timing is not over advanced? Have you retrieved and Trouble codes?

Does it have the original vortec "intake spider"? Dropping mpg is one of the signs of troubles with the poppets. Hard starting can be another.

MPG is highly dependent on many things, even cold weather will throw it for a loop. It's very difficult to compare one tankful to another. What needs to be compared is a fuel log over many months. That minimizes variable such as long idle times and traffic, things that change all the time. A simple too many trips through the drive through can ruin mpg.

Also, HP doesn't equal mpg. That's a misconception many people have. Efficiency equals MPG. Sometimes (most times) HP comes with it, but that is a byproduct of efficiency. You can build an engine for hp and loose mpg, but you can't build one for efficiency and loose HP.

MPG can be a function of something as simple as changing differential gearing to bring the engine back into the torque peak with larger tires. That's chasing efficiency in the system, not just the engine....:)

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes trouble starts are when warm, no there currently is no shield looking to get one though.. but I'm thinking starter may also just need to be adjusted some sounds like its barely hitting flex plate.

Currently going in to get timing n fuel pressure checked.
As far as I know its original spider once it warms up.. if not before I plan on swapping it out.

Yes I know There is a fine line/balance between HP nmpg the gains n losses.. what I'm basically looking to do is just wake it up but get The best milage I can at the same time, not looking for a massive power build just more power

Tires are fairly close to stock 285/75/R16 I believe. And has some sort of like not exactly sure what but its small like 4 inch I think if any at all haven't seen a stock height one in awhile. That's almost more rare then an obs That's still factory clean

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you're looking to get a little bump in both HP and MPG, make it breath a little better.

That's Intake and exhaust components (I don't mean a CAI :rolleyes: ). I won't recommend parts or brands because that will just spark off a back and forth that will confuse you. Do some research and decide for yourself.

Getting it running right first is the way to go though.

Then look at opening 'er up a bit....:)