Help deciding on tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
My dad was a john deere mechanic for 20 years and the snap on truck stops at the shop every week. Dad has just about every snap on tool you can get. He also got tools through john deere and they seem pretty high quality as well.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I don't know about the others but Snap On is lifetime warranty on everything they make. I've taken in Snap On stuff 30 years old and they fixed it for free.

Well that's almost true.... some of their battery powered stuff isn't lifetime, know for a fact their cordless impacts aren't lifetime... and for the price u pay, they should be :(

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
We have snap on mac and craftsmen up until they craftsman outsourced all the tools they were just fine i won't but from there anymore not just because I was my stuff to say Made in the USA id stick with Snap-on if i was you. Our cordless impact is probably my favorite tool

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Never much cared for craftsman stuff. Most of my hand tools are Mastercraft Maximum (from Canadian Tire), and seem to hold up pretty well. Absolutely no question with regards to replacement, at least at the store I go to. If it's a ratchet, they ask if I want them to rebuild it (which usually only takes a few minutes) or a new one. I usually get them rebuilt.

I break stuff from being stupid all the time, mainly because I know that they don't care how I broke it, they just replace it.

The only stuff I've really had quality complaints from Mastercraft are Torx heads in 3/8 drive. They break on the first use, every time. They still replace them, but the replacements don't seem to last either.

Bought some Stanley hand tools, not impressed. Got a full 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive set from them. Right off the bat the 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets didn't work. Got replacements but in that case I had to wait for shipping, ticked me off a bit. Also the sockets have printed numbers on them (or laser etched, whatever they call it) that wears off very quickly, making it hard to tell what size you've got. I have a bunch of older Stanley screwdrivers and stuff that are great, but it seems the quality has gone downhill quite a bit. I wouldn't recommend.

Snap on is great but way overpriced. I have some older stuff but never bought new. $100+ for a ratchet is ridiculous, even if it is the best.