Help! 89 350 tbi won’t run with timing advance plugged in.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to figure out its issue. Maybe someday when I retire I'll get it put back together. I'll be sure to update. :)

jl205

Reaction score
I had a weird intermittent problem with the truck randomly dying then sometimes restarting and sometimes not. I’ve pulled the distributor and replaced the icm and pickup coil and it already had a fairly new cap and rotor. Shaft look good and gear had no wear on it. Reinstalled now and timed to 0 degrees without the timing advanced plugged in but now it won’t run with it plugged in. Runs great without it plugged though which leads me to think I have a bad icm out of the box?

It’s an o Reilly’s accel part I believe. Should I just try at least 2-3 more to be sure? I’m limited on my ability to diagnose these engines.

I should add it’s a rebuilt motor with maybe 30k miles and it has new plugs and coolant temp sensor and before I pulled distributor ran great besides the weird occasional dying issue.
Did you ever get your truck fixed. I am having the same issue that you are having. I've got the base timing set perfectly but one I hook that wire up it starts acting really weird and won't run. Did you ever find out what was causing your problems. And would it be safe to drive the truck without the advance timing plug hooked up. Help please

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get your truck fixed. I am having the same issue that you are having. I've got the base timing set perfectly but one I hook that wire up it starts acting really weird and won't run. Did you ever find out what was causing your problems.
I have heard of that being the ignition module. But there's other things it could be also.

And would it be safe to drive the truck without the advance timing plug hooked up.
Safe? Yeah, I guess.

You'll be dealing with crappy fuel economy, poor power, poor throttle response.

jl205

Reaction score
It has really great power when it's unhooked but as soon as you hook up the timing advanced it goes all to crap I'll try a new Ignition Control module and see if that helps. It has a new distributor and ICM but it could be bad I've had experience of buying new ones that would not work.

jl205

Reaction score
I agree with planinwithtbi I had the same problem on my father in laws 93 about a year ago
What did you do to fix your 93. That's the same model I have and mine is doing the same thing did that help when you changed it

madmadison14

Reaction score
anyone found a fix . have one that starts cold runs fine with est wire unplugged but pops & bangs when plugged back in . but once engine is warm you can plug est in & it has an intermitten miss about 2000 rpm & pops sometimes?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I’m late to the party but here my initial thought:

If the base timing is way to advanced then it would have these issues once plugged in and the computer over advances it right?