Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the corvette one that’s how it looks on the stock image without the bell housing I guess now I have to sell it to buy a truck one should’ve done research before i got excited about the deal
Yep, call salvage yards and see what pricing is on a good used 6L80; DO NOT BUY anything 2009 or earlier as they have a multitude of problems, including but not limited to:

1. Cracking 1-2-3-4 piston (GM updated the design a couple times, they still crank but not nearly as much starting in 2010 and up)
2. 3-5-R clutch drum leaking at base welds resulting in loss of 3,5 and reverse (GM updated this in 2010 but later model drums do still leak, just not as bad)
3. Cross leaks between 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R due to ****** first design stator sealing rings (GM updated this in 2009)
4. Parking Rod assembly - updated multiple times over the course of the 6L80s lifetime however design wasn't mature until 2018. Very early units (2006-2008) had issues with the rod coming apart at the actuator, resulting in the driver losing the ability to put the vehicle in PARK

Cristianfrm6

Reaction score
You could buy a C6 drivetrain minus the engine and transmission and do this

Wouldn't be the easiest thing, but it's pretty cool.
No seems like a lot still want the 6 speed you think a truck or suburban will bolt up and work with the Holley controller to the LS1 or should I save the headache and just get a 4l80e

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No seems like a lot still want the 6 speed you think a truck or suburban will bolt up and work with the Holley controller to the LS1 or should I save the headache and just get a 4l80e
ID go 4L80E...The 4L80 is stronger and the cost to integrate and repair is going to be less. IMO, there's nothing a 6L80E is going to give you that a 4L80E wont/cant. You can install a segment swap into your trucks existing PCM via HP Tuners to control the transmission plus get or adapt your speed sensor harness to connect to the 80's two speed sensors...Look for a 97+ unit (you'll need to also grab the transmission lines out to the radiator/trans cooler) as the 97+ use a different cooler line set up.

ETA: if you ever had to rebuild either transmission, here's the appx cost for each to do it right:

- 4L80E: $1800-2200 depending on build profile/shop/market pricing

- 6L80: $3800-$4500 - same stipulations as 4L80E.

Last edited:

Cristianfrm6

Reaction score
ID go 4L80E...The 4L80 is stronger and the cost to integrate and repair is going to be less. IMO, there's nothing a 6L80E is going to give you that a 4L80E wont/cant. You can install a segment swap into your trucks existing PCM via HP Tuners to control the transmission plus get or adapt your speed sensor harness to connect to the 80's two speed sensors...Look for a 97+ unit (you'll need to also grab the transmission lines out to the radiator/trans cooler) as the 97+ use a different cooler line set up.

ETA: if you ever had to rebuild either transmission, here's the appx cost for each to do it right:

- 4L80E: $1800-2200 depending on build profile/shop/market pricing

- 6L80: $3800-$4500 - same stipulations as 4L80E.
Thanks for the help you seem like you know what you’re taking about do you happen to have a shop and sell transmissions im located in GA

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help you seem like you know what you’re taking about do you happen to have a shop and sell transmissions im located in GA
You're welcome...Im in Vegas and don't ship any transmissions as it's a nightmare cost and logistics wise if the unit ever has to come back to me for any reason.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note to self.......trip to Vegas....lol

Can't blame you there, a lot involved in the install and verification everything is A/OK.
LOL...Yep, agreed though I never get involved in the installation process - just do bench builds...I would hate to have to pay for shipping the thing back to me and then back out to the customer due to either latent parts defect, workmanship errors or something else I simply missed that went back in and shiit the bed.

Three out of the four seasons, Vegas is awesome. Absolutely sucks right now, though...