Help ...4 wires front of engine harness .....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need a little wiring help.....I have a 1989 GMC 350 shortbox that I have converted to carb ...I ended up with 4 wires the previous owner has hacked up .....they are from the main harness near the front of the engine near the thermostat housing and alternator area ...

1.) One pair is a black / white tracer wire and a brown or grey wire (heat and engine oil has faded the coloring so its hard to tell on that grey or brown wire true coloring ......he has them going to a ring terminal tied together no clue where they should go ?

2.) The other pair is a black with white tracer wire and a light tan or yellowish wire (again heat and oil have faded the tan or yellow coloring on the one wire ) .....and they are tied together on a ring terminal...

I "THINK " one pair of these wires went to the thermostat housing post to engine ground possibly maybe ???? ..Again the other pair I have no clue ...can someone look at their 89 and give me a clue as to where these 4 wires need to go please ?

As far as the alternator I have one gray wire going to the alternator factory connector at the 2 oclock position that plugs into the alternator - the other wire on the factory connector has been nipped off by the previous owner .....and the large heavy gage red wire going to the back of the alternator is there ....as far as I know no other wires should go to the alternator plus post - just the red one correct ? ...... thanks in advance guys ....

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If you can wait until tomorrow I will look at my 88. I think that they are both grounds.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THANKS SO MUCH Someotherguy ! Going with grounds then.....can I ask one other favor ...on the BACK of my aftermarket ac compressor there is a ROUND clear plastic electrical connector port at like the 2 oclock position when viewed from the front ....one of the hacked wires left has a connector but it doesn't mate properly on that connector - its not exactly round like the port should take and the plastic locking tabs don't line up ???? Can you take a picture of your connector that plugs into the back of your ac compressor and let me know what color wire goes into that connector ? Thanks so much for the help here !

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can I ask one other favor ...on the BACK of my aftermarket ac compressor there is a ROUND clear plastic electrical connector port at like the 2 oclock position when viewed from the front ....one of the hacked wires left has a connector but it doesn't mate properly on that connector - its not exactly round like the port should take and the plastic locking tabs don't line up ???? Can you take a picture of your connector that plugs into the back of your ac compressor and let me know what color wire goes into that connector ? Thanks so much for the help here !