HELP!!!! 1995 transmission in a 1998?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K30burb

Reaction score
other issue that no one has mentioned is that if this is for a 4x4 a 95 trans is a 4bolt rear pattern for the tcase, and the 98 is a 6 bolt pattern. yes you can overcome that and any other issues with the swap but again its not a direct swap. what part of Oklahoma are you in? im in piedmont/nwokc. I know quite a bit about gmt400's and am willing to offer advice anytime to help a fellow out.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
From what I have learned, 95 is the in between year, obd1to obd2. Only a 95 trans will work in a 95 truck. 94 would have a TV cable, 98 is all electronic. I don't think it would work. Or at least not a drop in swap.
1995 is OBD1

1994 would not have a TV cable, 1993+ are 4L60E

CheapHoe

Reaction score
other issue that no one has mentioned is that if this is for a 4x4 a 95 trans is a 4bolt rear pattern for the tcase, and the 98 is a 6 bolt pattern. yes you can overcome that and any other issues with the swap but again its not a direct swap. what part of Oklahoma are you in? im in piedmont/nwokc. I know quite a bit about gmt400's and am willing to offer advice anytime to help a fellow out.

I recently acquired a 95 with burnt 2-3 clutches. I found a 98 4l60e, I have not bought it yet. So I would be doing the exact opposite the OP is doing (too bad we aren't in the same area) I investigated the "real differences between years" stickied thread at the top. I'm aware of the PWM and valve body differences.

So I take it I will need the correct 98 transfer case for this swap to work? What about the speedo sensor? I know there a at least a couple different sizes.