Heavy White Smoke Only On Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericinga

Reaction score
Had the same problem.

Here's the process I used last month:
- Pull the spark plugs. Look for one or two that are bright white.
- Run a compression test on the cylinders. Look for a low cylinder. If all are within 5lbs or so, it's likely your intake gasket. Otherwise, the bright white plug is the cylinder with the leaking head gasket.
- Look at your exhaust pipe. Mine was "steam cleaned" by the burning coolant.

In addition to the intake gaskets, I cleaned the TBI and replaced the gaskets / o-rings and cleaned the IAC.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So we recently replaced the manifolds with long tube headers on my truck and I can say for sure there was no coolant steam cleaning anything in the exhaust. When we finally got the cat and muffler cut off it hit the ground and made a nice black smoke cloud. We pulled each spark plug when we did the exhaust manifold change to see if I needed to swap plugs and wires while I was down there and the plugs seemed to be in good shape, no bright white plugs. So I'm leaning towards the intake gasket. I'll be replacing my wheel cylinder soon and doing the brake booster thing to see if the issue still persists. If it does, the intake gasket is coming out. Doesn't seem to be that difficult of a job to perform. Might see if I can bum a die grinder from someone and do the TBI mods while I have the TBI system off. Lol