Heater Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DForce909

Reaction score
As the morning and days slowly get colder the use of a heater becomes more of a priority. However mine has stopped working for reasons unknown.

I can't remember when I first noticed it, but it must have been a month or two ago. There is a no heat at all when its on the hottest temperature, it generally only blows cold air. I have an incredible lack of knowledge on anything heater related except for the location and how to get to the heater core.

Where do I start and what things should I check to pinpoint the location of the issue?

Thanks

Truck: 1997 Chevy Silverado C1500 5.7L V8

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Feel the two heater hoses that go through the firewall on the passenger side. See if they get hot. They should be the same temperature, essentially.

When you turn the temperature dial, there is an actuator that changes the air door to direct flow to the heater core. It is roughly behind the ashtray. The photo below is with the glovebox removed. The actuator is behind the bracket with the white sticker and red letter "N" on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Note the silver dial with the notch in it. It is a position indicator and rotates as the temperature door is positioned. As installed, this dial is toward the bottom. It is obscured by the medal bracket in the photo. If you look up underneath the dash, you can see it.

Watch the dial as you turn the temperature dial. It should rotate smoothly. If it has a jerky motion, then it's probably a bad actuator or sticking door. If it doesn't rotate at all, it could be a bad actuator, wiring issue or bad control panel.

See what the heater hoses feel like and what the actuator does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk