Heat riser - necessary? 1994 TBI 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't waste space, works great, have tried it both ways and can tell it makes a difference. With a 383 and towing up mountain passes, need that cold air. You all must not have ever tried it, until you do, you won't know if if works or not, so shouldn't say it doesn't. The original air intake mess was terribly restrictive and ridiculous, one time on a hot city street actually got vapor lock with a TBI. Have done the dual intake on all my Burbs.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also removed the intake muffler and installed an intake flex hose from a chevy v6, that fits directly from the fender to the air cleaner snorkel. Looks factory.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Clearly, somebody didn't bother to connect a restriction indicator to the air cleaner.

Twin 4" hoses is crazy. Probably not harmful, but it's gonna look hoopty and won't be of much actual benefit.

The big question is how restrictive is the fender itself?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ONE 4" hose...maybe. TWO 4" hoses? Nope.

Removing the air intake muffler for a non-restricting item? Sure.

You won't need more air flow into the air cleaner than the TBI can flow, and the TBI can't flow the equivalent of two 4" hoses.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
ONE 4" hose...maybe. TWO 4" hoses? Nope.

Removing the air intake muffler for a non-restricting item? Sure.

You won't need more air flow into the air cleaner than the TBI can flow, and the TBI can't flow the equivalent of two 4" hoses.

I agree with you there 100%, my question was the fender it has to suck air through. If that's a sufficient restriction, then that 4" aluminum duct will not flow as such. I should experiment on my 1500 by logging with and without the airbox lid. That'd give somewhat of an idea there, but the data would be muddied by the question of to what extent did deshrouding the filter contribute to the gains as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never liked the aftermarket dual air intake air cleaners.... looks hokey, and they tend to be expensive. Only way I'd want one is if I had an engine that would truly use that flow. A DIY dual snorkel would be cheaper, but still hokey (to me) and that extra hose takes up a lot of space.

OP is in AZ.... isn't it like 90 in the winter? I know there are mountains, but his "cold" is not like the cold in other places.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the fender would be very restricve. Earlier trucks had some sort of plastic shroud/insert/something inside. I don't know what year that stopped. I'd think the volume in there would be great enough such that a sudden inrush to the engine would have adequate supply that would quickly be replenished by all the leaks around the edges. I have zero to back that up, Though.