Headlights on with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone wired up their headlights to come on with a key?

I know its not a big deal to turn them on but i was thinking of wiring the power to headlight switch to and KEY on only hot wire. and leaving the headlights turned on all the time so that when the key comes on the lights come on but IF i need to turn them off i can. i donno just a thought for us guys who have other people that drive our trucks, usually the ol lady, and she likes to leave the lights on

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
look into Day time running light stuff, up in Canada its the law the the lights come on when the key is on, i think after 1995.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i know i have them in my ford, when its on and the ebrake is on, lights are off.

release ebrake and lights kick on, its all factory stuff, also the instrument cluster is NOT on till you turn the lights on.

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp i warned up the garage for a whole 5 minutes it took to wire the headlights to come on with the key.

I pulled the headlight switch so i could see the wires. I found a KeyON wire under the dash and spliced into it. Ran it upto the headlight switch, cut the RED & Orange wire feeding power to the switch (test with a light to be sure, not sure what colors they are on other years) Used the KeyON wire to power the wires that used to be powered by the red and orange. Now I can leave the headlight switches on but they shut off with the key, and they can still be shut off if i need them off.

Now when my girlfriends drives my truck and I dont have to worry about a dead battery because she left the lights on.

Hope it helps someone who has similar problems haha

Razor1981

Reaction score
My 97s come on with key, I'm going to pull the fuse so they don't. I like crusin with parking lights on :dancingpoop:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they all Canadian market trucks? My research has always shown that all vehicles sold in Canada produced after January 1, 1990 were required to have them.