Headlights on with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Are they all Canadian market trucks? My research has always shown that all vehicles sold in Canada produced after January 1, 1990 were required to have them.
Not sure, i know my current one was but its a rebuild, so it wouldn't surprise me if they got taken out. It could very well be 1990.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i hate drls and not because i dont like them being on. People are friggin dumb! So, with drls you get the morons who dont think to turn their head lights on at night. So yes they get to see with the headlights being on, but noone behind them can see them until they come within 25 ft and our headlights hit them. DRLs are a great idea done very wrong. If drls are so important, then rig them like motorcycles where every light comes on with the ignition key like the OP wants. The newer GMs all have auto headlights based off of darkness and as soon as the car is drive (or ebrake is off on a stick) the headlight sensor decides if they need to be on. Smarter because then the idiots cant drive with just the drls. Unfortunately that takes technology that cost money. They could wire the lights off a relay in the ignition switch circuit that would cost a damn thing.

Steve83

Reaction score
THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!!
The newer GMs all have auto headlights based off of darkness...
What year did that start, and can that system be added to older trucks? Anyone have a link to the wiring diagram for that new system? I've already added the Ford system to my Bronco, but I don't know enough about GM wiring to add it to my K3500. I've done a few searches for "autolamp" (the Ford name) and "auto headlights", but I don't know what GM called that system, and this is the only thread I found that mentioned it. If there's a better one, just point me to it & I'll abandon this thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a lot of digging & downloading wiring diagrams, the oldest one I found with this system is '99. It looks like all I need is the headlamp (autolamp) module from a non-DRL truck, and a rear-view mirror with a sensor output on a 2nd connector (which I've never seen).

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
chevy s10s had them also and might be easier to find the parts for. The sensor is located in the speaker grille on the passenger side of the dashboard.

Steve83

Reaction score
1/2
Are you saying that's where the S-10 sensor is? The wiring diagram says the module in a C/K/Hoe/Burb shares the sensor in the RV mirror.

What it DOESN'T show is a way to turn off the system. Is it like DRLs - kick the e-brake?

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
yeah on the s10 it's on top of the dash.

I could be wrong, but I thought if you hit the dome override 4 times it would disable the auto headlights until you turn the truck off. Then it would reset when you started it up again. I think this works on the 99-02 fullsize trucks and s10s.

Steve83

Reaction score
That wiring diagram doesn't show any connection to the dome circuit, but adding a relay to flash the markers would be pretty easy. Using a NON-diode-suppressed Bosch/ISO/Tyco relay:

Pins 85 & 86: Tan & Gray wires for the driver's lock motor (either polarity)
Pin 87: Brown parking light wire
Pin 30: Orange between PARK LAMPS fuse & headlight switch

That will make the park lights come ON any time the driver's lock motor is working (even if it's from the inside buttons). If the lights are already on, nothing will happen. Making them flash ONLY for the remote and only with the key OFF would take a little more effort (and a few wiring diagrams I haven't found yet). No additional fuses are necessary since the relay is on the lock circuit (which is already fused) and it uses the fused factory park lamp feed for the lights.

Of course, it would be just as easy to use a common GM relay in one of the unused positions in the convenience center or underhood fuse/relay box.

Last edited: