Header HI Temp Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Paint sucks. At least, it did years ago when I attempted it.

Send them out for ceramic coating inside and out.

Ill have to check out our powder coat joints to see if they do that, I know its better but thought maybe paint had improved from years ago.

I absolutely agree with your sub heading on China, dirty ******** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
painted mine with VHT last year but didn't clear coat, that may have been my mistake. A year later, rust spots are pooping up all over my headers, so I'm looking at pulling, stripping, re-coating with paint and clear and trying again. On a related note, I used Eastwoods internal header ceramic coating, can't say enough about this product! At running temps, I can put my hand directly over the headers without feeling the heat- has done wonders to keep underwood temps down. Hope this helps

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
painted mine with VHT last year but didn't clear coat, that may have been my mistake. A year later, rust spots are pooping up all over my headers, so I'm looking at pulling, stripping, re-coating with paint and clear and trying again. On a related note, I used Eastwoods internal header ceramic coating, can't say enough about this product! At running temps, I can put my hand directly over the headers without feeling the heat- has done wonders to keep underwood temps down. Hope this helps

Before applying the ceramic paint, did you use a primer/adhesion promoter of any kind? If so, what brand did you use?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I painted over my scorched ceramic coated headers with VHT. Light coats worked good for me, and I live in the rust belt. I just made sure they were super clean and oil/contaminant free.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before applying the ceramic paint, did you use a primer/adhesion promoter of any kind? If so, what brand did you use?

I didn't use a primer for the ceramic internal coating, the can says it's self priming. I did use a pre paint prep (also Eastwood) and a bottle brush to clean the insides of the tubes before coating. Did the same on the outside with the VHT, and got the results I wanted, it just didn't hold up.

Rick Reid

Reaction score
anything you put on it will come off, even my Hooker Super Comps ceramic coating has come off

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup...save yourself the frustration. In the end they all break down. Or just pick what you like now, It'll be a few months and that's it.