Headache Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here is one that my one friend put on his dually,,, i dont like it but it does the job i guess

You must be registered for see images attach

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know but to an inexperienced welder mig would be a lot nicer for a first project

when I was in welding school, my instructor took two pieces of .25" plate and T welded them with a MIG. He then asked all of us if we thought it was a good weld and by the beautiful appearance everyone said YEP. He turned it over and with a normal claw hammer lifted the hammer shoulder high and dropped it on the back of the weld. Both pieces split apart like it was held together with elmers glue instead of welding. Thats when I realized, MIG looks pretty, too pretty for its own good. If your settings are wrong for the application, you are laying molten metal in a pretty bead on the metal (which will "stick" it together temporarily), not melting the three together into one (penetration). Im just saying Know your machine and how to operate it before you build something that will come crashing through your rear window.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It mounts with a long bolt through the stake pocket. There is a plate that covers the bottom of the stake pocket and a plate between the bracket and the bed rail to give the rail a little extra support.

The reason the side brackets are crooked is because they are sitting up on my bedliner an there isn't anything on the bed rails. One day I'll take the brackets off an trim the liner back so they sit flat.
t)
I have been kinda sketching ideas during the day and have one that I like (no idea if it will work or not) but didnt know how to bolt it down so this helps a ton thanks!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
t)
I have been kinda sketching ideas during the day and have one that I like (no idea if it will work or not) but didnt know how to bolt it down so this helps a ton thanks!

I took two bolts about 5" long I think and welded the heads together. Then I added a piece of small square stock to stop it from turning inside the stake pocket so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in my bed liner. I used a nylock nut on the bottom an then a normal one with a lock and flat washer on the top.

You could buy that toolbox mount and hardware from back rack separately if you want. I think it's about $90 though and then build your own rack from there

Skylersa

Reaction score
I will be sure to take some measurements and put them on a drawing for you. I plan on building my rack for my chevy with 2x4 or 2x3 if i can find some. I really like to see people making their own as opposed to buying them, so I thought you would like to know, of the two i have built, the overall cost has been between 80-130$. Here is one from an old truck if it is of any interest for plans:
You must be registered for see images

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks that would be great! It would be a place to start from. Tomorrow im going to take some measurements and finalize a sketch and get some cardboard from work to make a mock it of it. I just started welding and thought this would be a good project to start with.

Skylersa

Reaction score
I find that the hardest and most meticulous part is getting the angles of the side tubing to match the c pillar's angle. Be sure to make sure they are what angle you want them to be and make sure they are both the same. Oh i was also going to let you know that it really isn't that bad to build one, measure twice and cut once! Wear safety glasses/face shield and wear gloves. If you don't use them and have little red spots all over your skin from tiny ass metal splinters, I'll say i told you so!