Headache Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Do any of you have pictures of between the back of the cab and the back rack?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wanna do this use the mig in the shop don't try to arc weld it you will end up with a mess

Nothing wrong with using a stick welder to build one. If you know what you are doing you can make it look just as good as a wire feed.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

If I do decide to do anything with the back rack cutting and having it follow the line of the cab much better.

Yeah, that's the only problem I have with back racks on these trucks. I wish someone made one that actually followed the curve of the rear.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using a stick welder to build one. If you know what you are doing you can make it look just as good as a wire feed.

I agree with this 100%. Nothing wrong with stick welding for any mild steel project like this. And just because a MIG weld looks good dont mean ****. Even when they look nice, it may have ZERO penetration. So know what you are doing before you build stuff. also 2x2x 1/4" is not needed. you can get away with 1/8th inch or 3/16th if you are using 2x2 box steel on a back rack. It will be plenty strong. .25" is too thick IMO and unnecessary weight. Plus at 1/4", 2x2 box does not have sharp 90 degree angled edges because it is so thick, it has round edges which take away from it's box appearance. I would use 1/8"x2x2 for the entire thing with a steel mesh to protect the window.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like the mesh look! Im going to have to do some checking to see what will be the easiest size to get. Its going to be a lot of guess and see what works since this is my first metal project. I may start with scrap and try to mock something up so I don't wast tons of money on good steal to blow holes through.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's mine.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It mounts with a long bolt through the stake pocket. There is a plate that covers the bottom of the stake pocket and a plate between the bracket and the bed rail to give the rail a little extra support.

The reason the side brackets are crooked is because they are sitting up on my bedliner an there isn't anything on the bed rails. One day I'll take the brackets off an trim the liner back so they sit flat.