Has anyone modified the electric AC condenser fan system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got the ac system in my truck up and running before my long camping trip over a couple mountain passes next weekend. While I had everything apart, I wanted to make sure the electric cooling fan was good to go. I assumed it would kick on with the ac however that wasn't the case. After some research it appears that it won't kick on until 225 degrees? Is that engine coolant temp? The system seems pretty solid but has anyone ever re-wired the relay so that the fan kicks on when the ac is activated? If so do you have any tips do it easily?

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suppose i should add that during short trips or idling around my ac blows ice cold. But I'll be pulling a couple good long mountain passes and I have no way to test the system for those circumstances until I'm there. It's supposed to be in the 80's the day we leave and once we get across the first pass it will probably be in the 90's from there on. The system has a brand new compressor and receiver drier and orifice tube and held 30 psi of vacuum. Charged with fresh r134a too so I'm not really at a disadvantage anywhere but on most modern vehicles there is almost always an E-fan running while the ac system is running.