Has anybody installed a roof cargo rack on a gmt400 pickup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Thought about throwing the shell back on the truck and getting a rack and mount it to the top of the shell, run like 5 lights on it

i know its a ford but thats what i thought about doing with mine. Kinda second thinking it not sure if i want the shell back or not
You must be registered for see images attach

that looks pretty decent. I see people mount them on campers all the time, though i prefer them up front, they look just and good out back

afletcher

Reaction score
im building one as we speak the only down fall is the mounts have to be in the door frame and 2 bump stops in the back to keep the stress off the front mounts
its a work in progress.

treydawg22

Reaction score

Not sure if this is the kind of set up you had in mind, but here is mine

And customized it and added light bar under it

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Not sure if this is the kind of set up you had in mind, but here is mine

And customized it and added light bar under it
exactly what i want to do! got a build thread? more pics? where did you get the rack?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

treydawg22

Reaction score
exactly what i want to do! got a build thread? more pics? where did you get the rack?

Super easy, no build thread required. Go to a junk yard or wherever and pick up the rails off the top of a 2000ish Chevy Blazer (the little kind, not the full size kind). The rails off of a 2 door one will fit as is, but one off of a 4 door one will work. If off the 4 door, you'll have to take one of the end caps off each side and cut the rails down to size and reinstall the end caps. Once you have everything the size you want it, put it on your roof and get it lined up perfectly straight (close at least) and mark your holes. Remove rails and drill one hole at a time, putting the rails back up everytime to make sure the drill didn't walk on you. One of the drills with a magnet base makes the install a breeze, but not required. Just don't drill too far down and poke through your headliner. Once all holes are drilled, fill the holes in with silicone, before it dries use a pop riveter to hold the rack to your roof (more solid than it may sound) and then silicone the crap out of it. I've had mine on for about 7 or 8 months now with no leaks and it's strong as ever. And as far as the rack itself goes, I just picked up a cheapo rack from walmart and I am just as happy with it as people with super expensive ones are. Good luck, holler if you need anything else!