Hard start when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratrod312

Reaction score
So for as long as I have owned the truck, from a cold start, the truck fires right up real quick, no issues. But if the truck is warm, it cranks really slow, as if the battery is dying. BUT it always starts. Battery and alternator are both fairly new, even after replacing the battery, this condition never changed. I will hold the key to crank it over, and it turns over real slow once or twice and sometimes fires, or it'll go silent for a second and finally crank again and fire. I have checked the ground straps and the seem intact. Any ideas? Starter?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Your battery cables good clean and tight? The starter could be going bad, usually they start acting up when warm. If you take it off and have it checked out at a parts store or shop, it may take a few tries to get it heated up,to replicate the issue. Also, check that the connections on the starter and solenoid are good,clean and tight too.

Ratrod312

Reaction score
Your battery cables good clean and tight? The starter could be going bad, usually they start acting up when warm. If you take it off and have it checked out at a parts store or shop, it may take a few tries to get it heated up,to replicate the issue. Also, check that the connections on the starter and solenoid are good,clean and tight too.
Battery connections all look good and are tight, Starter looks the same. I will take the starter off and have the part store check it, hopefully that will rule out something.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Battery connections all look good and are tight, Starter looks the same. I will take the starter off and have the part store check it, hopefully that will rule out something.
I had an intermittent hot start on my Burb a couple of years ago; that's when I changed the cables( the long positive cable had corrosion down in it). I discovered when I pulled the starter, had it checked,and was reinstalling it, that the smaller terminal where the ignition wire attaches, was loose. This is the small post on the solenoid. You also want to be sure the big cable from the battery IS NOT touching this smaller wire or terminal. If it is, the vehicle will try to start when you reconnect the battery (ask me how I know!).

Ratrod312

Reaction score
Turns out, this problem was a bad starter!

I let the problem go until recently when i heard a loud "marbles in a can" sound starting the truck one morning. Took the starter off and noticed the bendix was sliding in and out by simply moving the starter around. After installing a new AC Delco starter, i no longer have the marbles in a can sound, plus no more slow starts when hot. The truck cranks much faster now too!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Thanks for updating! I will have to look at mine, it's got a lotta starts on it in six years of daily driving with many starts every day. Don't want it to get bad enough to ruin the flywheel/flexplate again....

Ratrod312

Reaction score
Thanks for updating! I will have to look at mine, it's got a lotta starts on it in six years of daily driving with many starts every day. Don't want it to get bad enough to ruin the flywheel/flexplate again....

I'd definitely recommend looking into it if you're having a similar issue. A starter is a much less expensive and easier repair than a flexplate.