What GP do you swear by?

• Bosch Duraterm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GM GENUINE 60G

• Other

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the title says. I got this truck a few months ago here in Florida and we just started having some colder temps and the truck is hard to start when the temps go below 70, which is still rare. When it does (cold)start there's a lot of white smoke around turbo and coming out exhaust, and it's idling very low, and no response to gas pedal until it "warms up". It's a 1996 6.5l K3500. It's easier to start if I leave block heater plugged in for a while too, so guessing it's a glow plug issue. After it's been running it'll start easily all day and responds to pedal movement immediately.

I bought some Bosch Duraterm to replace all 8 but wanted to check wires first. So I put this ammeter around all 8 GP wires with the existing plugs in. Haven't put new Bosch in yet. The max they'd reach during WTS(visible in dash after turning key, before cranking) is 1.8a. Am I using this meter correctly? Seems low. Only one of the wires had zero draw, for #2 cylinder. The rest had between 1.5-1.87 max draw during WTS according to this ammeter.

I pulled one of the GP and it appears to be an AC Delco 60G. I replaced that with a Bosch Duraterm for a test of amps, like maybe they're bad and that's why they're only pulling 1.5a, but it's pulling the same 1.5-1.8. So I put the AC Delco back in until ready to replace all 8.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you testing a DC system with an AC ammeter?
Ah well now I feel like a dunce:uhoh2:. I'm experienced with multimeters but bought this thing for this purpose. Maybe that's the issue. Am I correct that the GP wires should draw 6-10 amps at each GP? I'll have to get one for DC

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what glow-plugs amperage draw is. It'll be in the service manual, I expect.

When it was me, I bought a low-amperage tester that plugs into a multimeter or an oscilloscope. I got mine from these folks, and I'm pretty sure it's this model: Good from 10mA to 80 amps, AC or DC, more than that requires a high-amperage probe. So OK for testing some alternators, but not for testing starter motors.

https://www.aeswave.com/Low-Current-Probe-0-80-Amps-p8987.html