Hard Shift 1-2 gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea that makes me sound really suspicious of the transmission and definitely get it verified by another shop or someone that really knows what they're looking at.
I learned yesterday that my transmission is actually a GM Remanufactured transmission, so it was remanufactured by GM then sold out. The guy who helped install it uses them all the time and hasn't had problems out of them so i'm not sure what to do.
I have to get it looked into. I guess I dread the tap dance that is going to be involved in finding the truth without all the BS that goes with shops. Getting closer to 3 grand everyday in this transmission and still got what I started with. Don't mind paying for what I get, but I want what I pay for !
If Joe Greasy sells you a transmission job for 500.00 you would expect to get reamed. But when you go to what is supposed to be a reputable trans shop and start out at 2700.00 you just expect a little tad bit more than what I got... Or at least be able to troubleshoot and tell me what I do need even if it is something else.
Good luck with yours , hope you get to the bottom of it.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really feel for you as I too had transmission trouble soon after I bought the truck. Engine is excellent but trans quit shifting properly about a week after I brought it home.

What I did was ask at several garages that do NOT work on transmissions for recommendations on places to have it looked at.

Then when I took it to the transmission place I mentioned that my friend at "X" garage had recommended them. That way they knew that if it was screwed up the people who had recommended them would find out . I don't know if it helped or not but the truck shifts fine now. I have a little more in it than I would like but it is a good hobby and I am having fun with it.

Reaction score
Hey guys so my truck is a 93 C1500.

So this has been going on for several years now.
Anyway, when i first bought the truck it did not shift hard, but after several months it started doing it.
So, within a year we replaced the trans with a new one from the factory and it still did the same exact same the same way. It's been doing the hard shift for years now.

Basically its like a laggy shift..? it jerks really hard when it lets go of first and picks up second. It makes my whole dash shake and my flip up head unit almost smack itself. It is completely random when it does it, but usually happens 75% of the time. Weather independent, engine temp independent.. just completely sparatic.

So with all of that, what could it be? I mean it's a new trans (well not new anymore) and it still does the same exact thing it did with the old one. Someone mentioned to me i might want to try another ECM and see if that helps anything.

Any advice or somewhere to start?
Thanks in advance.
My1990 305 had a hard shift issue my detention cable and timing was causing my problem. Not sure if it will fix yours but mine shifts fine now.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I have to get it looked into. I guess I dread the tap dance that is going to be involved in finding the truth without all the BS that goes with shops. Getting closer to 3 grand everyday in this transmission and still got what I started with. Don't mind paying for what I get, but I want what I pay for !
If Joe Greasy sells you a transmission job for 500.00 you would expect to get reamed. But when you go to what is supposed to be a reputable trans shop and start out at 2700.00 you just expect a little tad bit more than what I got... Or at least be able to troubleshoot and tell me what I do need even if it is something else.
Good luck with yours , hope you get to the bottom of it.

I think that we got my tranny for around ~$1200 but i'm pretty sure that was after a rebate and then of course i sent in my old one also. So pretty good deal, i didn't pay for it because i was 15 at the time and my dad thought a new transmission would fix the shifting however it did not, did it one night in our buddy's shop; dropped the old one and bolted the new one. It hasn't been that big of a deal up until now because i used to drive highway, but now i started going to a university and there is red lights every 10 feet so it is quite annoying; would love to get it fixed without extensive work.

My1990 305 had a hard shift issue my detention cable and timing was causing my problem. Not sure if it will fix yours but mine shifts fine now.

Do 4L60E's have that? I think mine is strictly computer controlled unless i'm thinking of something else.

It just puzzles me that all these years with the various stuff i've replaced and new transmission that this still persists and in the same way. But it's really weird how there's no rhyme or reason to it. It just randomly does it sometimes super hard sometimes not that hard and sometimes smooth as butter; doesn't make any sense. I'm not easy to give up so maybe one day i'll figure it out. Hopefully a new ECM will enlighten me.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really feel for you as I too had transmission trouble soon after I bought the truck. Engine is excellent but trans quit shifting properly about a week after I brought it home.

What I did was ask at several garages that do NOT work on transmissions for recommendations on places to have it looked at.

Then when I took it to the transmission place I mentioned that my friend at "X" garage had recommended them. That way they knew that if it was screwed up the people who had recommended them would find out . I don't know if it helped or not but the truck shifts fine now. I have a little more in it than I would like but it is a good hobby and I am having fun with it.
Only real transmission shop in our area told me he does not rebuild anymore , he installs Jasper rebuilds, and I came home and started reading reviews on Jasper transmissions and the warranties on them... Horror stories on them and even worse on warranty ! So I decided on this shop I knew in the area where I grew up and lived all my life, which is only 55 miles away, it sat there almost three weeks . They said it was ready, and my brother in law works two blocks up from them I had him check it out and he brought it back to me because at that time I was caregiver to my son and could not get away to get it. Well he got here with it and it was no different, except with a terrible TC shudder, back it goes 2nd trip.. Installs another new TC said it was fixed, comes home with still hard shift and lock up bouncing in and out. Keep in mind the old TC never shuttered it was just the hard shift and bounce was initial problem. Took it back trip # 3 they said it was fixed.. same story not fixed ! In the mean time my son passed away and we were devastated and involved with the things to take care of him. By the time I got back on the subject of the truck and tried calling the shop again they had shut the doors and was out of business. So here I am still with a transmission that needs work. Long story I know =)

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only real transmission shop in our area told me he does not rebuild anymore , he installs Jasper rebuilds, and I came home and started reading reviews on Jasper transmissions and the warranties on them... Horror stories on them and even worse on warranty !..... Took it back trip # 3 they said it was fixed.. same story not fixed ! In the mean time my son passed away and we were devastated and involved with the things to take care of him. By the time I got back on the subject of the truck and tried calling the shop again they had shut the doors and was out of business. So here I am still with a transmission that needs work. Long story I know =)

So sorry to hear of your son. That had to be an awful time in your life that no one should have to endure.

It sounds like you are a victim of too few competent repair places close by and the ones who are there are used to getting away with bad work. I guess I'm fortunate to live fairly near an area where there is much competition for that sort of business and the last thing that guy would want would be for the garage literally next door steering custom away from him. I guess in your case a GM certified rebuild would be the way to go. At least you would have a big company on the warranty. Good luck !

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Then when I took it to the transmission place I mentioned that my friend at "X" garage had recommended them. That way they knew that if it was screwed up the people who had recommended them would find out . I don't know if it helped or not but the truck shifts fine now. I have a little more in it than I would like but it is a good hobby and I am having fun with it.[/QU
So sorry to hear of your son. That had to be an awful time in your life that no one should have to endure.

It sounds like you are a victim of too few competent repair places close by and the ones who are there are used to getting away with bad work. I guess I'm fortunate to live fairly near an area where there is much competition for that sort of business and the last thing that guy would want would be for the garage literally next door steering custom away from him. I guess in your case a GM certified rebuild would be the way to go. At least you would have a big company on the warranty. Good luck !
Thank you.. I have been test driving a new shop on a couple of things and so far so good. They seem to be on the level and know what they are doing. So after I do the brake light switch we will see which way she goes and if no success I will try the new guy out.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you.. I have been test driving a new shop on a couple of things and so far so good. They seem to be on the level and know what they are doing. So after I do the brake light switch we will see which way she goes and if no success I will try the new guy out.

Please report back to the thread when it is sorted out. It will be very interesting to find out what the culprit really is . You may be surprised how much the new brake light switch may cure.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please report back to the thread when it is sorted out. It will be very interesting to find out what the culprit really is . You may be surprised how much the new brake light switch may cure.
Will do, what part of NC are you in, I get up to Murphy at times.