Had intake leak and now what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carcanken

Reaction score
Had intake leak and decided to replace gaskets. Pulled lower intake off and noticed crack between both driver front bolts. Leak was commung from driver rear down back of motor. Can this be fixed at machine shop. Crack doesn't seem to go into water port but does go to edge. not quite sure.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20240422_134038.jpg
    20240422_134038.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240422_134200.jpg
    20240422_134200.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 18

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can this be fixed at machine shop.
Thats something to ask said machine shop.
I have no idea what they're gonna say because I dont work there.

Crack doesn't seem to go into water port but does go to edge. not quite sure.

Neither are we...

So... are you gonna take it to a machine shop? And if you do, are you gonna let us know the results?

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jeez Louise !
did a brief search for a New replacement LOWER intake manifold for L31 Vortec 5.7L V8 --- seems neither GM, Dorman et al offer them now. that leaves little else but:
1) DIY fixing what you have via weld, epoxy, flat-file etc or
2) finding a good used one (fleabay etc choices are crazy $pricey$) or
3) having machine shop weld/resurface etc.

if ya got one that's weeping coolant now, try and get to it and fix it ASAP; before further corrosion.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Machine shop said they should be able to fix it. Mainly depends how deep and if there are any bad blowouts. Should get back in about 2 weeks due to their workload. Will post back once i get it back
? a few before & after pics of manifold damages, as well as machine shop bill will be of help & interest ?