Gutting cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I get the cats gut will I get a check engine light or something else come up on the dash? I was also going to get an x pipe put in if I just take the cats out all together. I'm doing this because my exhaust isn't that loud and would like it to be louder

wmiller1337

Reaction score
Yes you will get a CEL. Yes a X pipe with duals would be better. Yes it will be louder, and raspier (better have a good muffler if you go catless)

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would high flow cats be any better sound wise and are they even that much better performance wise

wmiller1337

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Best of both worlds, will sound almost as good as stock but power is almost as good as straight pipe. And it will keep the CEL off. But 80 bucks for a cat is a lot more than 5 for a piece of pipe.

wmiller1337

Reaction score
Whoops, forgot your reasoning for catless was to be louder. A high flow will make very very little difference in sound/volume when compared to stock. If you have an aftermarket muffler, it will be noticeable, but not significant. Another option is catless + glasspack. The glasspack takes the edge off of the sound, without silenceing it very much.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i gutted my cat and it sounds like garbage has a hollow tingy sound and an engine light, i just picked up a magnaflow hiflow cat havent put it on yet tho

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 99 5.3L with no muffler just the cat and it actually makes it sound really good. There's no raspy sound or popping, just a deep growl that isn't bad at all when you're just driving around town.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Your cats are already high flow, so removing them will have absolutely ZERO effect on the performance of the engine. Removed, they will however make the exhaust sound like charred ass and piss off everyone around you in traffic with fumes.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your cats are already high flow, so removing them will have absolutely ZERO effect on the performance of the engine. Removed, they will however make the exhaust sound like charred ass and piss off everyone around you in traffic with fumes.

Listen to the greenie and his hippie talk about fumes....

Realistically the cats turn one bad gas into another bad gas that's not quite as harmful. They're a feel-good band-aide for the hippies. Mine rusted/fell off and I stuck a piece of pipe in. With a glasspack it's loud enough that I am careful when I get on it.

IMO, save the cash and just go straight pipe from the cat-back. It'll be louder but not nearly as obnoxious.

texasrebel88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah save your self the effort.. it sounds like its in a tin can or sumthin