Guage Needle Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandifer01

Reaction score
A few days ago I took my needles off to paint them. I marked them, yet when I put them back on they arent correct. Every single needle is wrong. Going through town im running under 1000 rpms, 85 to 100+ mph, My oil pressure is 0. My gas hang is umder E even when its full. And My vol guage reads 20. Help anyone?

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few days ago I took my needles off to paint them. I marked them, yet when I put them back on they arent correct. Every single needle is wrong. Going through town im running under 1000 rpms, 85 to 100+ mph, My oil pressure is 0. My gas hang is umder E even when its full. And My vol guage reads 20. Help anyone?

85-100mph at under 1000 rpm?! what kinda gearing do you have going on in there? I would worry about no oil pressure... and your outa gas? is the truck still on?! 20 volts?... airplanes are 24volt systems.... is it even a truck?

im just messing... I feel your pain... I have never had any luck with gauges, from what I hear it sounds like a zeroing out problem or that the little shafts are bent a little... what did you use to take them off? are they moving at all? what I have done in the past is take a picture of your gauges with the truck running and mark on the picture where you think they should be and then take the whole thing apart and use the picture to help you judge how much you need to move the needles... huge trial and error disaster, I think I took my vws apart a dozen times before getting it close enough...

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I was just wondering. Given your reinstall couldn't you have the truck running and then put the needles back in the appropriate spots going off of the picture? It seems like that would take alot of guess work out of it.

Where did you reinstall the needles? most gauges i seen drop below zero when the vehicle is off. If you installed them at zero then that would explain why they are off. I would turn the truck on and move the needles to where they should be ie volts at 14, RPM at 600 (or whatever is normal idle for you) ect,ect. that should put you in a good ballpark for good driver-vehicle communication. That is if you remember where they would normally sit.

sandifer01

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ive been trying to move them around while the truck is running. They arent perfect but much better than before.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this EXACT SAME THING Saturday Night. Whoever made up the original instructions was donkey kicked in the head. They make it seem sooo nonchalant like "just place the needles back and your good brah"

No, not good brah. We need to make sure to edit it so it says place needles back on while truck IS RUNNING.

Would save A LOT of headaches.