Guage cluster led install: success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been buying many leds over the past year, trying to find the best one to emulate the color of the stock incandescent t5 and t10 bulbs. The reason being is that the blue filter in the guage cluster's film cover ruins the color of any light coming through. Pure white leds will result in a neon blue color for example, very bad for your eyes at night.
Here are my results:

You must be registered for see images attach

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

High

Low

Off

Also what does this connector go to?

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the exact light that worked incase anyone is interested. I found them on ebay for ~$3.50. the cluster uses 6 in my suburban, 8 if you manage to swap the "drl" and "seatbelt" light bases.

Last edited:

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the gauge cluster lights ran in series? I just tried converting mine over and one whole side doesnt light up no matter which way i turn the bases for polarity

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the gauge cluster lights ran in series? I just tried converting mine over and one whole side doesnt light up no matter which way i turn the bases for polarity
No I don't believe they are ran in series based on the traces on the board. What do your leds look like? Maybe the leads on each side of the led aren't making contact? Sometimes these lights can be finicky if they have one of those plastic bases with thin wire.

Reaction score

I had a similar issue changing a turn indicator bulb. When I reinstalled the gauge cluster, the flexible strip didn’t make full contact with the dash connector in my 95. Pulled cluster and cleaned contacts lightly with alcohol and cloth then straitened and “fluffed” the flexible strip. It worked after that. You can also trace out the connections and check continuity between the flexible contact through the bulb.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar issue changing a turn indicator bulb. When I reinstalled the gauge cluster, the flexible strip didn’t make full contact with the dash connector in my 95. Pulled cluster and cleaned contacts lightly with alcohol and cloth then straitened and “fluffed” the flexible strip. It worked after that. You can also trace out the connections and check continuity between the flexible contact through the bulb.
That's a good pount. I had the same issue when testing the cluster after each LED to test polarity. The position of the cluster can affect the connection, so I wiggled it around until everything worked.

95STEP

Reaction score
Hi, you originally mentioned 5t and 10t socket size bulbs. From what I read and the pics showed, you used 6 or 8 10t bulbs. I didn't see any mention of using 5t. Does the dash cluster use only 10t?
I will be replacing my dashboard and changing bulbs on my dash cluster was something I was going to look into how to accomplish. Thanks for this info.
Paul