Greetings from West Virginia!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rtlane

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum obviously. I just purchased a 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE. I will be picking it up tomorrow. I'm very excited!
I plan to keep it stock as far as cosmetically. All the upgrades will be primarily mechanical-related. I know the MPG is low in general, but what are some upgrades I can look into to help with mpg and overall maintenance? Plugs, wires, new filter, etc.?
Also, I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on how much this truck could be worth?
I hope to be on the forum a lot, meet people, and learn a lot.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    932.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1891.jpeg
    IMG_1891.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Do your fluid changes, run a set of AC Delco plugs, and cap, rotor, and plug wires. As for value, well that can be a wide range. Also is it a 5.7L. that will be worth a lot more than a 4.3L or 5.0L. by the look of the pics you posted, IDK $6000 to $7500 maybe, but value is all depending on what someone else will pay for it, and how rear it is in your area. All of that is based also on if the truck is running good with no issues at all.

Rtlane

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Do your fluid changes, run a set of AC Delco plugs, and cap, rotor, and plug wires. As for value, well that can be a wide range. Also is it a 5.7L. that will be worth a lot more than a 4.3L or 5.0L. by the look of the pics you posted, IDK $6000 to $7500 maybe, but value is all depending on what someone else will pay for it, and how rear it is in your area. All of that is based also on if the truck is running good with no issues at all.
Thank you Kenny. Yes, it's a 5.7L. Thanks for the info on the maintenance items. When I pick it up tomorrow, I'll post more pictures.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you get your plugs, just get the regular plugs. Dont get iridium or platinum plugs. These trucks run better on AC Delco conventional copper core spark plugs.