Grandpa's c2500 Burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOutDrsMn

Reaction score
Hello from Vegas. My father recently was given a 99 C2500 Burban. He came to me for info, as i'm a bit more of a car/jeep/truck/bike/boat nut than him. Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with the GMT400 platform. Most of my GM truck experience is with the squarebodys(79 K5 & 84 sub) and the GMT900 (Avi & sub). Did some searching on my normal sights, tahoe/yukon and GM trucks, but neither had enough GMT400 travel for my needs. Glad I found this sight. Lots info for the older platform.
Originally i thought it was a lifted c1500, but he loaned it to me last week to get a look at it. I realized it's not what I thought, and is a pretty good platform for what my parentes might want to do with it. They're both retired, and don't go anywhere except the base, Dr, or to see the grand kids. They like the idea of using it to pull a travel trailer to go sight see the country again.
The truck is a white 99 C2500, with 143k on the L29. Tomorrow I'm headed to the Pick-a-part to pick up some needed parts and extras.
Thanks

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello from Vegas. My father recently was given a 99 C2500 Burban. He came to me for info, as i'm a bit more of a car/jeep/truck/bike/boat nut than him. Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with the GMT400 platform. Most of my GM truck experience is with the squarebodys(79 K5 & 84 sub) and the GMT900 (Avi & sub). Did some searching on my normal sights, tahoe/yukon and GM trucks, but neither had enough GMT400 travel for my needs. Glad I found this sight. Lots info for the older platform.
Originally i thought it was a lifted c1500, but he loaned it to me last week to get a look at it. I realized it's not what I thought, and is a pretty good platform for what my parentes might want to do with it. They're both retired, and don't go anywhere except the base, Dr, or to see the grand kids. They like the idea of using it to pull a travel trailer to go sight see the country again.
The truck is a white 99 C2500, with 143k on the L29. Tomorrow I'm headed to the Pick-a-part to pick up some needed parts and extras.
Thanks
Sounds like y'all got a good truck. With 3/4 ton and the 454, should be able to handle plenty of trailer. As big a bumper pull as you want, anyway. Post up some pictures so all the Burb lovers on here can see !
Welcome to this forum, you'll find lots of information about the 400 platform here. Many of us have or have had Suburbans, so we can answer the questions specific to them. Mine is a 99 C1500, 5.7 vortec, and is the latest of 8 different Suburbans my family's had since the early 80s. That's it in my avatar. Stock for now, but once I get another daily driver, that may change....

LateOutDrsMn

Reaction score
yep, didn't realize I didn't have any pics till I started this thread. Trucks back at his place now. I'll add a pic next time I see it.
I actually enjoyed driving it so much I started researching a 2012 2500 Avalanche, just to see what I could do to mine. But of course GM never made one. Maybe I'll visit Duraburb next time i'm in Florida.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 400 Burbs are nice trucks, especially the later years. We also have a 2006 Yukon XL Denali (GMC Suburban on the 2000--up models cause Chevy wanted the Suburban name for themselves). The interior is very nice and comfortable, and the Bose stereo is wonderful. That truck has been parked for a while due to expensive mechanical issues I don't have the shop and time to deal with. Would kind of like to put the later interior into the 99, but not sure how impossible this would be. Got to do measurements and such....The next generation SUVs and trucks (GMT 800 series) were an evolution of the 400s.

LateOutDrsMn

Reaction score
So here's a few pics. First few are from before my fathwr owned it, and why it was just given to him. Apparently it had a regular overheating issue. But the engine was thuroughly gone through after these pics. The previous owner didn't trust it even after the engine work, plus he had picked up two GMT900 subs. So he just gave it to my father(old friend of my father if that helps). Since my father has had it, he hasn't had any issues with overheating, in fact it runs a little too cold. I think the engine shop put a 170' thermostat in it. I may crack it open and replace it. I don't like that it never gets anywhere near 200.

You must be registered for see images attach

LateOutDrsMn

Reaction score
Here's my father first mod, a fully inclosed chair lift. My father isn't that moble anymore, beat up old war VET, diabetes, leg issues, and too heavy. Sometimes he needs the chair, some times he don't. This lift picks up his mobilty chair off the ground, lifts it all the way up and into the burban. Can't even tell from the outside when the doors are closed. Works great for a garden wagon too. Flipped over, the dirty tires never even touch the inside.

LateOutDrsMn

Reaction score
Here's one of my first additions. As I said above, my father isn't that moble. My mother isn't much better. She another old Vet, and has been fighting(beating) her 2nd round of breast cancer for the past 18 months. That combined with a bad hip, means she is only a hair more mobile than him. For some reason this C2500 had the factory running boards removed. So it's kind of painful to watch the two of them climbing in and out. I did have some old running boards from my 96 1ton dodge 12valve. Thought they would be easy to mount to the burban, but couldn't find anybody in vegas to mount them. They either wouldn't try because I didn't buy the boards from them (they didn't sell any for the 99 burban btw) or they would say it's impossible to mount them, because the burban and the 1ton dodge were too different. I started watching the junk yards and found these. I'm pretty sure they were not factory, even though they fit the look of the burban really well. They also look a Whole lot like the ones from my 1ton. They were mounted to a 99 k2500 burban, so they should mount right up, and for the most part they did. Just a few little tweaks; some how the o2 sensor and some fuel/brake lines were located in a little different location. But I got them cleaned up(they were NASTY) and mounted. Here's a pic of my wife and oldest bouncing on them, trying to test daddy's work. Oh and I think the shops I spoke to about mounting the other boards were full of ****. The construction of these boards is so similar I bet I could mount the old ones with the hard ware from the junkyard ones. Anyways now I'll sell the old ones.