Good Evening TBI people that knows more than me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ledzep

Reaction score
Clogged fuel filter and/or cat or muffler will do this, low fuel volume. Pull 02 sensor if u have one b4 cat and drive with it wire tied if problem goes away, clogged cat or muffler

Derek Fowler

Reaction score
Sounds like fuel pressure. I converted my 72 k25 to tbi and fought the same issues with it for about 6 months until I changed to a higher psi pump. They say something like 8-14 is what is needed but realistically it's more like 10-18 imo

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
Gotta agree, sounds like a fuel pressure issue to me. Fuel filters are cheap and easy to replace so I’d start with that. If the problem persists, take a look at your fuel pressure to see what you’re getting.

Hightower1

Reaction score
If you still have the original Cat and muffler, replace them. Get a good highflow Cat and don't just delete it like some people do. :)

Jerry Reneau

Reaction score
I am at an absolute loss with my truck, maybe somebody here has an idea....
It has a new GM Goodwrench Performance crate engine (JEG'S part number 809-12681430), was installed summer 2018, and has less than 3k miles. Transmission was rebuilt earlier this year, less than 300 miles, and a JET Performance ECU was installed. I have flipped ECU,s, with no different outcome. I have had nothing but trouble with it lately, it idles fine, but as soon as it has a load, it sputters and backfires. I have tried 2 different distributors, replaced TPS and all temp sensors, runs fine on idle, and at all rpm's, when no load, but cant handle a load. If I floor it, it runs right up on rpm, and runs fine, but regular driving is no good. Anybody have any idea?
Do you have a scan tool that is capable of monitoring a pid called “cam offset”. If so, you must rev the engine up to over 1000 rpms, like 1100 or so, while watching cam offset degrees. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and rotate distributor until cam offset reads 0 degrees. Plus or minus 2 degrees. This will ensure the timing is on point with the crank position. Also called crank / cam correlation.

GMCK1500SLX

Reaction score
You put a brand new distributor in it? Is the brown wire connected? fuel pressure is the first step in diagnosis. You changed all those sensors when you needed a fuel line tester. You need an OBD I or II reader, a fuel pressure tester, a vacuum gauge, a timing light, a test light, volt ohm meter. Everything you changed can be tested and diagnosed but you decided to waste money and change it all. ?? If the fuel pump is original, that is what the problem is but get a tester before you do and ONLY change to a ACDelco or GM pump.