Good Evening TBI people that knows more than me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ledzep

Reaction score
Yes fuel pressure is important, but fuel volume is often overlooked. Forget the spec but remove fuel line after filter somewhere convenient and put a glass jar inside, crank engine and time it, you should have a certain amount of fuel for the specified time. Or remove fuel filter and if you have in line fuel pressure tester, (I added a shut off valve on the side of mine) simply open while cranking. Now you have pressure, volume readings and fuel sample. Check at seperate times of course. May or may not be the cause but simple and fast check, if ok, move on with diagnostics.

Little lower

Reaction score
I had a very similar issue with mine. The Fuel Pump fixed it for me.
I changed out sensors, shot wires, checked injectors, changed fuel filter (change this as well, and buy a Napa gold filter)... none of those fixed it. I changed the fuel pump and it ran like a brand new truck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a scan tool that is capable of monitoring a pid called “cam offset”. If so, you must rev the engine up to over 1000 rpms, like 1100 or so, while watching cam offset degrees. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and rotate distributor until cam offset reads 0 degrees. Plus or minus 2 degrees. This will ensure the timing is on point with the crank position. Also called crank / cam correlation.

This does not apply to TBI. OP, where are you at after getting hammered with this info?

95flatblack

Reaction score

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been replacing the tbi pumps (ep386) for years with the Vortec pump (ep381) with no issues, especially on tbi 454s as the stock pump barely supplies enough volume