GMT400 or GMT800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've got a dilemma... too many trucks and not enough time & money to work on them all.

Looking to do a SFA swap on one of these trucks.

98 Chevy K1500 Silverado 3door ecsb with just over 250,000
Needs some bodywork (rust above windshield, bottoms of doors) The 5.7 runs decent ( burns some oil and needs intake gaskets again) but could use a rebuild, 4L60E tranny was rebuilt a couple of years ago. The rear axle is howling like mad, and the front wheel hubs are starting to make noise again. (replaced once already)
Pros: Love the truck, been driving it for years, reliable, never made me walk home. Like the extended cab room especially with the wife, kid and two good size dogs. Already have a 14 bolt ff from a 98 3/4 Burb
Cons: Shortbed fleetside, needs body work, could use engine work, only a 1/2 ton

02 GMC 2500HD rclb 2wd with around 160,000
Picked this up for cheap money
Pros: Already hd 3/4 ton, body is in decent shape, 6.0 4L80E, 14bolt ff and 8' bed, already have the 32 spline NP241
Cons: It needs an interior (trashed former work truck) Regular Cab, only option is A/C

I cant keep both trucks, one of them has to go. Do you guys think it would be foolish to invest a significant amount of money in the 98 K1500? Or would it make more sense to spend the money on the 2500HD since it has the better running gear and frame already?

and we wont even talk about the 04 Yukon, 79K10 and 85 K30 CrewCab :rotflmao:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I love 400s just as much as the next guy, but the 800 sounds like the obvious choice. It's already a 3/4 ton.

On a side note, rust around the wind shield is a complete bish.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned the wife an kid the reg cab is a no go to me from a room stand point, esp if you guys plan on more kids.

Clean the 2500 up some an flip it for cash towards work on the 98....

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
:welcome: to the site!!!!

After what you described, I'd go for the 800 myself.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
800 without question. Sounds like the obs is rusting a lot and needs mechanical work.

Only downside i see with the 800 is it being a regular cab and you need the room for a wife and kid

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the 98..
the 14 bolt is howling?
how bad is the rust? on the frame?

personally, Silverado > trashed work truck...what else was beat on?

to me rust is the browning of steel... good ol desert.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sell them both for what ever you can get out of them and either pay off a bunch of crap so you can afford to play (because you have toys) or buy a truck that suits your needs that is in good shape.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Sell them both for what ever you can get out of them and either pay off a bunch of crap so you can afford to play (because you have toys) or buy a truck that suits your needs that is in good shape.

This is also a very good idea.

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Believe it or not, the chassis on the 98 Chevy is in nicer shape than the 02 GMC. Is the frame any different on the GMT400s between 1500 vs 2500?

The 10 bolt rear axle is on its way out in the 98, but i do have a nice 14boltff to replace it. I also have a completely freshly rebuilt 3/4ton 10 bolt for the front axle, just need a NP241C with vss to make it work.

Not the best pic of the trucks but you can get an idea. Yeah both trucks are red. :wtf:
You must be registered for see images attach

Whatever cash i get from selling them i plan to put into the 85 CrewCab