GMT400 LSX SWAPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would strongly dissuade someone from doing an all stock swap like that as the performance would most likely not be what they were hoping to achieve for the cost.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well I know, but it would then give someone a base price then they could research prices of performance goodies....I guess what I mean is what's the labor cost and average hours of the physical swap and tuning for that specific body style and engine/trans combo. Since that's the middle sized vehicle(whereas RC is the smallest and CC is the largest) and the sbc/auto would be easiest option to convert from, it would give a decent starting price if anything.

Also, you only do the 5.3 and 6.0 lsx engines right?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I quoted someone the other day:
how much to drop in a 6.0 in my 98? ide like it to be a dependable daily driver, maybe just heads and a mild cam. and i want to retain A/C
Hi and thank you for your interest. Roughly sketching the numbers on this:

6.0 ~ $1000
Torque Converter ~ $700
Transmission ~ $2000
Headers, Exhaust ~ $1500
A/C Conversion ~ $1000
Cam / Springs ~ $1500
Heads ~ $1000
(Optional) New Harness ~ $800
Conversion Parts ~ $1000

Labor for this project would be about four days unless a major problem arose. Tuning will be simple as long as we stay with a reasonable cam. You're looking at a pricey project but it is well worth it. If you are in the area you're welcome to come see my 6.0 truck and go for a ride.

Keep in touch,
Mike

I have worked with every flavor of the LS family, I am not limited to the truck motors only. I suggest them because they are an effective way to make power for a lot less than most aluminum block options.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
and the labor cost over the 4day standard install period(let's pretend everything goes perfectly in this imperfect world)....

Yeah, the truck options are definitely cheaper....I was mainly referring to the liters, not so much the variations the engine came in like iron head vs aluminum head, etc. Have you ever done this or seen anyone do this, and is it possible....to do the 7.0?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would really rather not discuss that in a public forum such as this one and I believe you will find most other businesses in my position behave the same way. Like I said, the car, the customer and the target budget are what I work with and every single time those are different things.

I am willing to charge less than my standard rate of 100/hour for large projects such as these, as well as include testing/tuning and odds+ends materials in my rate. Remember that one hour of my time is equal to ten of yours. You get what you pay for. Thank you for your interest.

mudeater

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Liked it for you keep up the nice work. If you were closer I'd let you do mine when I get everything save me the headache or the worry about some hack job messing it up.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have trouble feel free to message me I have helped many members with their swaps.

mudeater

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do thanks I am doing the homework reading the threads and going to start gathering the items i need I found a thread were the used a 6l80e but I can't seem to find it again.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
so What if I have a 6.0l lq9 and a tranny ready to be dropped in but want to cut out the middle man, (no offense) could I just order a wiring harness maid by your company? the rest is relatively easy for me to do my self lol.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could make you a one but there are many companies out there that sell standalone LS harnesses. Painless Performance, Street + Performance, etc. Or if the one on your block is in good condition just wire in the accessory fuse block and fuel pump relay yourself. You can snip off the rear o2s + egr + evap and do not get your injector/coil wiring mixed up.