GM Paint Codes - differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winsleydale

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I recently took delivery of a couple gallons each of gray primer, Bright Teal Metallic base (9794), and clear. When I opened the cans I noticed that my 'teal' paint looked awfully 'aqua' - in fact, it's a dead ringer for my Autozone touch-up cans of Bright Aqua Metallic (9796). The new paint is labeled all over as 9794 but I just don't believe the mix is right, it's almost a deep sky blue (very pretty but incorrect) - can I expect the green-ness to come out once I put it over primer and under clear? Is it possible the paint shop I ordered from mixed the batch wrong or mislabeled it? (the codes are very similar) If they did, is it possible to have the tone altered at a local shop?

I've never dealt with painting anything like this before, but it's $500 worth of paint and I'm sure they won't want to take it back, now that it's opened... I'm not sure how to proceed.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is GMC rots a ruck on paint codes ! My other gmc had to have the hood painted they mixed color code and it was wrong shade/ tint, the mixed another batch same issue.
Ended up have to get a color Image scan done.
Started reading up on GMC codes and how it can or cannot be on the money going by codes.

Winsleydale

Reaction score
It's a Chev, but I'm sure any code matching issues are likely shared between the two... if it was just a tad off I wouldn't mind - after all, I'm painting the whole truck. But it seems to be very, very off.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I thought it was the other way around needed to be lighter. Ask the place you got it from if you can do a spray out card. 1 it will tell you if it is the right color. 2 if it ain't right you can see if you like that color or not.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just get a nice clean piece of card stock or sheetmetal prep it like your prepping the truck, spray it, it'll tell you if you want it or not, you can even go as far as spraying it with clear to see final if you like. keep in mind once you do this if you haven't contacted the supplier you probably wont get any refund of change out. Are you spraying it at the house or having someone do it?

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Long ago I had my fiberglass shell ordered with the stock brown on my 'nearly new' truck. The first coat was way off color.... the mistake was the metal flake formula.

Made the brown more of an orange shade. watch out for that when talking to the painter.

If metal flake is part of the OEM color, on an older truck.