Gearing questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its been awhile since i've posted been busy with college and all that fun stuff but hopefully I can still get some help. Im thinking about doing some gears in my truck. Im thinking 4.10's. My current tires size is 255-70-16 but im thinking about upgrading to 265's or 285's this summer.

Truck specs:
1993 Chevy 1500 stepside
4x4
350 edlebrock cam and lifters, performer intake, headers, full exhaust. With some other little things.
4L60e trans
The current gears are 3.42's with almost 66,000 original miles.

The trucks not my daily driver, just my toy I use to cruise when its nice and take out on special occasions. The truck sees highway maybe 3 times a year. Do you guys think 4.10's will be a little to short of a gear for the small tire size? How much do you think this will run me for both front and rear gears including labor as ive never changed gears before? What will I need? Thanks for all the help boys.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it was me i would check the local salvage yards and see if you could get a matched front carrier and rear end with 3.73"s

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes you will ,or see if you can find a light duty 2500 set of axles their six lug and i believe in the trucks that had a 6.2 or 6.5 would have 4.10's

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change in plans... I just picked up a set of 062 Vortec heads with one summer of use for 100 bucks. Anyone Have any suggestions for an intake other then the vortec tbi intake? Id like to keep the tbi for now. Also will anything need to be changed with the tbi or can i bolt these heads right on?

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
yes you will ,or see if you can find a light duty 2500 set of axles their six lug and i believe in the trucks that had a 6.2 or 6.5 would have 4.10's

my 6.5l blazer had 3.73s, so I don't believe engine necessarily determined ratios. I also would definitely not assume that diesels had higher ratios.. if anything they'd be lower. But if it were me I would definitely look for a 14bsf in the ratio you want to swap into the rear, I agree that 3.73 is good if you don't plan to go bigger.

I'm of no help with your vortec question though. lol