Gear Ratio decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My motor was completely stock. Back then all these ultimate TBI mods were unknown and /or expensive and I didn’t have that kind of money. My transmission went out because I had 3:08 gears and the 35s well..... basically killed the trans at 150,000 miles. After the trans rebuild and the gear ratio and a auburn diff swap if I mashed the gas I would spin the tires......hard. Didn’t have to power brake. Just let off the brake and goose the gas pedal and then drop the hammer on it. I could bark the 35s hitting second gear at full throttle but that was the Vette servo not the gears.
I never towed anything too heavy. Maybe 3-3500 pounds tops ( a station wagon for a buddy on a car dolly) and usually a set of Jet skis or dirt bikes maybe 1500 pounds with fuel including the trailer, camping crap in the bed, food etc. I don’t think I had the tow rating to “tow heavy” onna short bed standard cab 1/2 ton
But it made a world of difference between the 3:08 with 35s and the 4:56 with 35s. I later regeared to 4:10s because I started running 33s

My biggest issue will be that I’m bringing the truck back to stock height and got rid of the 33s I was running so I may have to regear to 3:55s or 3:73s. But it’s
Gonna be a play truck so It’s not a big deal if I run 4:10s and 29/30ish height tires. I’m planning on 255/70/15 So it should be ok.

If you ever plan on getting different tires like 33s I suggest going to 4:10s which will work for both 33s and 35s

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to add the mpg hovered around 14 mpg not towing.
Stock when I got it I was getting around 16

sfisher27

Reaction score
My motor was completely stock. Back then all these ultimate TBI mods were unknown and /or expensive and I didn’t have that kind of money. My transmission went out because I had 3:08 gears and the 35s well..... basically killed the trans at 150,000 miles. After the trans rebuild and the gear ratio and a auburn diff swap if I mashed the gas I would spin the tires......hard. Didn’t have to power brake. Just let off the brake and goose the gas pedal and then drop the hammer on it. I could bark the 35s hitting second gear at full throttle but that was the Vette servo not the gears.
I never towed anything too heavy. Maybe 3-3500 pounds tops ( a station wagon for a buddy on a car dolly) and usually a set of Jet skis or dirt bikes maybe 1500 pounds with fuel including the trailer, camping crap in the bed, food etc. I don’t think I had the tow rating to “tow heavy” onna short bed standard cab 1/2 ton
But it made a world of difference between the 3:08 with 35s and the 4:56 with 35s. I later regeared to 4:10s because I started running 33s

My biggest issue will be that I’m bringing the truck back to stock height and got rid of the 33s I was running so I may have to regear to 3:55s or 3:73s. But it’s
Gonna be a play truck so It’s not a big deal if I run 4:10s and 29/30ish height tires. I’m planning on 255/70/15 So it should be ok.

If you ever plan on getting different tires like 33s I suggest going to 4:10s which will work for both 33s and 35s

Sounds like Exactly what I am looking for I am running a stock 574 text but with 6 inches of lift and 35s will probably be doing some Towing as well so hopefully the power and the gas mileage is similar thank you for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk