"Gauges" fuse blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlastiKTuneR

Reaction score
98 Chevrolet Suburban, 1500, 4x4, 5.7 V8.

I just installed a new igniting switch because my key would not turn off my trucks engine, lights, warning lights.

Now that I solved that problem, my " Gauges " fuse pops as soon as I turn the key..

The fuse has done this to me before, but seemed to solve itself..

I ussually run a pair of Hella 700ffs on the front and a autometer vac gauge w/light, but because
Of this issue I've disconnected them both..

Any help is appreciated, electrical probelms irratate the Hell out of me.

PlastiKTuneR

Reaction score
I don't think so, everything sat pretty loose.. I'm taking the dash apart wheni get out of work.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I'll have to look at a diagram but I think the gauges are on the same fuse as the tail lights. I know the pre-88 trucks are, and the reason was so you would know if the tail light fuse blows. Now does your truck have "automatic headlights" or always on daytime running lights?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like the issue is probably in the tail light harness. Turn the lights off(should explain it in your owners manual) and try again. If the fuse doesn't blow then you know that is where the issue is. It could be a pinched wire or one that might be connected to the wrong circuit.

PlastiKTuneR

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, just to wrap it up I had a short under the dash for the daytime running lights, and another in my passenger tailigt.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Hey glad you got it fixed, that kind of problem can be a real PITA to track down. Especially when there is more than one issue causing the same symptoms.