Why Hallo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slipperz

Reaction score
I hope everyone here is having a great day and I thought I would make my first post to say hi and tell you about my truck!

Say hi to Chuck!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Chuck is a 1997 Chevy c2500 LD or heavy half. It's got the Vortec 5.0L/305 paired to the MG5 NV3500. I bought it thinking it was a 350 truck (Was at an auction.) when I learned it was a 305 I was worried it would be a little underpowered but paired with the 5 speed it feels just fine! Definitely not a powerhouse but will hold 65-70 MPH up a steeper hill without downshifting. Like i said it is the MG5 variant of the NV3500 so first and second gear is lower than the normal NV3500 so it ends up having a little bit of a granny low 1st gear but nothing like the NV4500's first gear. My rear end is a 3.73 non-posi 14 bolt. Beside the grill and new headlights, the truck is pretty much stock besides a different muffler. I was wondering if anyone has any thought a mods that I should to my truck or if you just have any thought about it! Thanks!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well howdy to you and Chuck from Alberta Canada.
I'd say do the general maintenance stuff, get a feel for the truck and find out what you want to do with it.
You may find after a while maybe that 305 is lacking, and then get the itch to swap motors.
The sky is the limit with these rigs.

And speaking of sky ...that's some pretty landscape you have for a backdrop there.

Slipperz

Reaction score
@Drunkcanuk Thanks! They are some very pretty backgrounds for those pics but I sadly don't live where either of these photos were taken. :( I was just on a fishing trip and road trip and had to take a photo. I have already done engine oil/filter, trans and rear end oil already, and I changed the blower motor out. I am sure if I keep the truck long enough the 305 may be replaced or souped up in some way but the truck only has 112k miles on her now so no reason to mess with it yet. What motors are common to shove in this? LS and 350's? I have also thought when the NV3500 dies I will prob just shove a NV4500 in as I use the truck to pull trailers and for work so to have the "great granny gear" would be very useful. lol

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Skills and budget is the limit when it comes to swapping these rigs.
From simple, like a Vortec 350 in your case.
There is always a big block of some sort, especially if you are towing.
As for LS, especially if it's gonna be a tow pig, just do a 6.0, don't bother with a 5.3.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from New Zealand. If the motor runs fine, and does the job, then just keep on maintaining it. The pleasure is in driving these trucks, and it is more pleasurable when you don't have to pour money into them. If it decides to let you down, well then start looking to upgrade but you can start collecting parts while still enjoying the 305.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
@GrimsterGMC
How did you get one of these trucks to New Zealand? Were they sold in New Zealand originally? I also completely agree with keeping it running as long as possible.
From what I was told the original owner in the US brought it over when he moved here and then later sold it. I bought it after a couple more owners, it's an '88 and has been here since 1997.