Gas-Fume Conversion for V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutch998

Reaction score
I've been given the idea of doing a gas fume conversion on my 94' Sierra, 5.7.. It seems pretty simple (I know it really isn't) but I'm unsure how safe it is. I have a large engine compartment with plenty of room, but it does get fairly hot in any place. I'm looking for responses that either have experience with this, or have an in-depth idea of how this could work. I'm looking for the cheapest way to save fuel, as my current mpg is roughly 6.5. I do not have a carb, nor do I have o2 sensors. Not sure what else I could add. I cannot do an engine swap or any type of expensive conversion. I'll have about $100 to spend on this for now.

This is the link to know what I'm talking about-

http://http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?p=1310

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
All it will do is run lean and burn the engine up. Not to mention what will happen to all those fumes if it decides to pop back thru the intake (typical for something with too lean a a/f ratio) You need to see why your mileage is so bad. My 3/4 ton 4x4 with 4.10s gets 12-14. That o2 issue needs fixed first and foremost. It directly relates to a/f mixture, and when it is not present, the computer goes into open loop, it ignores all the sensors, sets the a/f ratio to rich, and stays there. When you get it where the check engine light stays off, then you can do some minor upgrades to help mpg further. Simple tune up will work wonders, all this being not far from that $100.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Do a complete tune up and find out what's causing the problem before you start looking for the magic 200 MPG carb (that Big Oil buried in the 50s). My 97 5.7 gets about 15 MPG in town and 18 on the highway with 150k on the odometer.

Hutch998

Reaction score
I plan on getting my o2 sensor fixed this Friday, and would that be related to my service engine light coming on at about 50 mph? And does anyone know where I can find an o2 sensor (wire extender)? Thanks!