Gabriel shocks any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gotta change my shocks soon as i have a winter gig with snow removal and recovery (my own little business). Are the Gabriel Max Control any good? It is a Z71 model but im not worried about the off road/muddin capability. Okay Maybe snow capability but whatever lol. How about Bilstein shocks?

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Not sure on the Gabriel Max control..but i do know Bilstein shocks are hard to beat without a doubt. If it were me thats what i would put on.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay man thanks. I'll look into bilstein. in the meantime i might just try the gabreil. but i will get the bilstein eventually.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I had a set of Gabriel's on mine. They were like Gabriel ultras or something like that. They're decent shocks.

But Bilsteins are top of the line from what I understand.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah bilstein are the best from what ive heard. But I'm gonna make a thread on taking my halfton and putting 3/4ton suspension on it. including torsion bars, leafs and all new shocks. At the same time I'll be doing an alignment and new ball joints and maybe a few new steering pieces. May be overkill but its what I gotta do. Gotta make that money. Anyway..

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put Monroe Reflex on our Tahoe and they ride really nice. Their next step up.. I think Mono Max are said to be good too and a little firmer.

Bilsteins are great for a car, but the yellow/blue's ride pretty stiff on trucks.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'm disappointed in my new Monroe Sensa Tracs on my 98...very bouncy. Maybe they just need to be broken in a bit...idk. Always heard good things about Bilstein though.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, Sensatracs aren't any good so I've heard. The Reflex line is what I was told to get from the guy at Helwig Suspension.

I have blue and yellow Bilsteins on my truck... they are pretty stiff for a daily driver.. Now in my car they are awesome. For a truck I would only get 5100 Bilsteins or Monroe Reflex or Monomax..

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved my sensatracs, hated to take them off for the lift. I thought they were just about right, but I got my truck with then so idk how the factory bilstiens rode.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I think ill just get what I need and then get the good thing when I completely rebuild my truck. Which I'll put a thread up about that. I'm gonna buy a ford (to beat up while im rebuilding my chev, ford cause they are super cheap). But I'm gonna completely rebuild my truck. I'm gonna strip it to the frame and rebuild everything so it is just like it came off the floor. But I'm gonna toss a 5.3 in it. Or at least im thinkin about it. I might just get a new 5.7. Either way when i get done this truck will be nice.