Fuse suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For people who wired in different things on their truck which fuse would you recommend to use if I plan on hardwiring my gps so I can hide wire and it works on ignition like radio....i was think radio fuse but wanted to make sure

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Radio wire (12 volt switched) should be fine ... No fuse change should be necessary ...

If you have problems with this and need a hand ... Several guys from this (and others) forum will be meeting up in the Memphis area on Feb 26th ...
Show n Shine ... talk shop ... demo Audio Systems ... things like that ...

Please come hang out with us !!! PM me for questions and address for GPS ...
Thanks ...
Randal

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for info on fuse....but man I wish I could come but I wont be available and
It's so far off a ride if not off from work (I'm in the Chatt area 5.5 hrs away)

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going to just tap the wire that goes to the back of the radio? Whenever I add hard wired accessories I use a fuse tap like the one below. that would allow you to use the same port on the fuse block for the radio but have a separate fuse for the radio and GPS, which will reduce the load on the wire and you wont blow fuses as often. Some parts stores have them or you can find them online for a few bucks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen something like that but I like it...but I think I'm going to use the acc and ground wires that come from the back of the radio and tie end where it meets factory harness and I was going to go up 5 amp on the fuse because I was actually adding to things to this...which is gps and and a wireless receiver for a camera

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
are you going to splice in the wires or go to the fuse box? i have like 6 things going into my fuse box just pull the fuse strip the wire and put the fuse and the wire in together thats what ive always done it cleans up pretty nice

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I did it on my F-150 and just wired in a second charger behind the dash to one of the stock ones, just spliced into it's wires. Then I pulled the dash bezel and just plugged the gps into it and ran it though a small hole in the dash.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I started to go straight to fuse box but I think it will be cleaner and easier to put aftermarket radio out and and splice to it and I will automatically know when I blow fuse because radio won't work or charge my gps but I hate to have 50 car chargers

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yea I started to go straight to fuse box but I think it will be cleaner and easier to put aftermarket radio out and and splice to it and I will automatically know when I blow fuse because radio won't work or charge my gps but I hate to have 50 car chargers
Yeah I hated all the wires hanging everywhere. I actually spliced in another one at the same time and hooked my phone charger to it and had it sticking out of the tray on the dash.